A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

Of course I always want thought and ideas! My feeling won't be hurt if people criticize or don't like a design. It's just opinions anyway.

I do like shelf area. There are benches along the angled wall and on the left side, which is nice. But, I think the design feels forced, if you know what I mean.

For me raised designs usually are to deal with slope issues in a yard. I like having the pool flush and having nicer decking to dress it up. One thing I will say is I think design #4 gives you more pool for your yard? It looks like it is tucked in the corner better and with the angle side gives you a little more sq footage. Is that right?

Suz it is funny you commented on my signature. It has been that way for a couple months ;)

On PB #4 design: I agree with everything Umm said. I don't like the raised design as much as I thought I would - seems to immediately halt the visitor - like, "Stop, don't come in." I was intrigued at first with the sample picture, but no longer now.

* For me, the back wall is too imposing, and I think the added height will create too much noise from the water feature. I would want to lower it. I'm not sure about curving it. Sometimes I've liked curves with angles in a pool, but I don't think I would like it in this design. Not sure why.

* This design doesn't seem to have steps, only benches. Steps may not be obvious in these drawing. You may not need steps now, but someday you might.

* If the water features are all sheer descents, I think that's too many for your space - too noisy and distracting from the pool.

* Another thing that immediately came to mind was that in place of the firepit - for the space it takes up - you could put a spa, pushed in and connected to the pool. Which do ya'll think you would enjoy more, a spa or a fire feature? If you've never been in a spa, be sure to try one out before you discount it. (but you may have very good reasons for not being able to make use of a spa - I don't know. You could put back in the fire feature on the tall wall above the sheer descent and lower that wall some and have a spa too. Yes the spa would definitely add to the cost, but take out the cost of the fire pit, the raised perimeter walls, and the raised walls on either side of the center raised wall, and you might have something to think about. In place of the side walls with the sheer descents, you could put in columns on either side which could be lower or higher depending on the height of the center raised wall. Then.... put fire bowls on top of the columns. If money allows, possibly fire and water bowls (I have NO idea how much those cost).

* That idea brings me to another question. Are ya'll wanting to sit around close to the fire? If so, that takes you back to #4's design with the fire pit or #3's with the fire feature.

* If this is a larger pool, that may give it a nice advantage. Do you know the dimensions of this #4?

PB #3 design: definitely my favorite. I look at it and say ahhhhhhh!

* I really like the combination and placement of the sun shelf, steps, and benches. That area by the fire feature/pit is such a great people/ conversation area. It really draws me in.

* If you're wanting a fire pit, this design has one built in with it's fire feature. It really is more of a fire pit to cozy up rather than simply a pool feature. A two-fer.

* I love the design of the back wall with the curved coping area on either side. I also love the columns. And I think sconces would be the perfect touch. I know, this isn't my pool. I just want to tell you WHY I like it better.

* Not much else for me to say, because it does seem to be a simpler design which is the other reason I like it. It has lovely touches without being overwhelming.

This is going to be so much fun to see what you finally go with. One thing I know for sure..... You will create a lovely pool and a wonderful inviting space! That's just you!

Suz.

Last edited:
Thanks Suz for all your input! We are leaning towards the revised plan from PB3. I too agree with the raised pool saying "Stop". Perhaps if we had a bigger yard or one of the that sloped..

Yes we would use the fire pit! One of the things I forgot to mention is that we (maybe more me! LOL) would like to project movies or tv onto the garage wall to make a "dive in" movie. This past weekend would have been perfect for the fire pit and a movie or tv. Don't yet know how to set that up but will ask here later when we pick a PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The revision on Post #162 -- is that Pool 3, not 2??

Helen, that is PB 3s revised plan and the one we are leaning towards.

- - - Updated - - -

"Dive In" movie - that sounds great!!!! Now would it be popcorn or s'mores???? Fun times ahead no matter what!!!

So, the other PB never got back to you? Not that it matters. I think you've got a winner!!!

Suz.

He came and looked at the yard again. Hopefully he'll get back this week.

Umm, the raised pol is about 8k gallons and the other is 7700 gallons.

So not much of a difference. Do you get more deck with one or the other? I would be concerned with usable space. Also make sure that they put tables and chairs, etc... in all the designs from a top down and also a 3D view. Then go outside and move some tables close to a wall etc... so you can really see what the spacing is. There were a couple times I was shocked with how small things turned out and I have >900sq ft of decking. It made a huge difference when my deck got flattened out. That is another reason I wouldn't want raised walls because it takes away from usable space. You need more room to get around things when there are walls.

Let us know if you want thoughts and ideas about the designs. I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and not blurt out what I think unless invited. A new and improved Suz (hopefully)! Lol!!!

Suz.

Suz??? Why would you hold back your thoughts? We NEED you and your ideas. You give wonderful ideas AND the whys for your ideas.

I, for one, do NOT want you to hold back. All of the people you have helped, yes helped, were very happy for your input! If you go back and look at the threads you have had a hand in............you will see how much you have helped!

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

So not much of a difference. Do you get more deck with one or the other? I would be concerned with usable space. Also make sure that they put tables and chairs, etc... in all the designs from a top down and also a 3D view. Then go outside and move some tables close to a wall etc... so you can really see what the spacing is. There were a couple times I was shocked with how small things turned out and I have >900sq ft of decking. It made a huge difference when my deck got flattened out. That is another reason I wouldn't want raised walls because it takes away from usable space. You need more room to get around things when there are walls.

WOW! What thoughts you are putting out there. Somethings I thought but was not sure how to say you did so in a wonderful way! NICE!

Kim

Umm, that's a great idea to move chairs and stuff around to see what it's actually like. We are limited to decking by the pool, but have plenty by the garage. That would be in the foreground of the raised pool pic. We have a detached garage and about half the driveway is concrete pavers (which we will also try to match for the pool decking). I will look to see if I have any more pics that would show it better.

That picture does a wonderful job of showing what you are working with!

Do you have a google earth picture? That would be neat to see as well.

Love the french doors coming out to the deck. Will you keep the wooden deck or will you paver it also?

Kim (I think you KNOW which pool you are going with)

Kim, we will keep the deck, although we are going to redo that whole area as Phase 2, probably next year. The wood deck is on the same level as the French doors and a step up from the paver area. I just took a pic so you can see what I'm referring to.

On the right is my philodendron.

Last edited:
Btw, this is an addition to the house (built in 1939) that we built about 25 years ago. We added the 2nd story back over the original house by using some of the attic. The 2nd story isn't even noticeable from the street.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.