Closing question about high CYA

Sep 9, 2015
Ky
I recently found this site and bought the test kit, previously I have been using our chlorinator for the past 6-7 years and never had too many issues other than a high CYA and the cost of tablets. We are considering switching to a salt system next year but had a question regarding closing. I usually drain several inches and then put our mesh cover and a tarp on top to keep any water over the winter from entering the pool, it opens a lot cleaner that way. Since my CYA levels are high (150 +) I was thinking about draining about a 1/3 of the water and just letting the rain and snow fill the water to offset the CYA levels to help them come down. The clean up in the spring would be much harder but that's about the only way I have figured in order to bring the CYA level down. Any thoughts? I will be closing this weekend, I'm in KY so we do get snow and plenty of cold temps. Thanks for any advice.

Water exchange is indeed the only way really to lower CYA, so that sounds like a reasonable plan. Of course you won't really know your new CYA until you test again in the spring, but you would think it should be better. If it needs to go lower, you can drain more in the spring. Not sure what type of pool you have, but lowering about 1/3 should be fine structurally.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.
Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.