Pool Renovations in Tucson

Uncle Flappy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Well, I took the plunge and decided to get the pool renovated. I got three bids over the weekend, chose a builder that I liked the best, and started the process yesterday. I'm getting the decrepit Kool deck redone, the tile cleaned, and replacing the dyed plaster with Pebbletec Stonescapes. The process should take three weeks. Here are some photos:

image1_zpseaid0stc.jpg

image2_zpspkzbosop.jpg

image3_zpsbshq9uhv.jpg

Now that the pool is drained, I can see how bad the plaster really was (some cracks are visible in the photo above) and discovered that I was fighting an algae bloom. There are green spots around one of the drains and a few places here and there on the walls. There are even spots that could be the dreaded black algae. :eek:

Two questions:
  • The plaster will soon be gone . Any special precautionary measures I should take when filling the pool? Should I do a SLAM? My numbers were good prior to draining (TC <=0.5) and nothing visible from the surface so I didn't realize there was a problem.
  • Since I will be starting from scratch, should I revert back to chlorine tabs from my new SWCG until CYA levels get up there? I have a full 5gal bucket of those things. I like the feel of saline water but it's getting colder and the pool won't be used much now.

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'll keep posting pictures.

- Flappy

Edit: Third question - I'm considering changing the fiber optic lights for LED. I'm hoping for better illumination. Is the juice with th squeeze?

Hi Flappy. Congrats on the renovation. Looks like it was needed. As for your questions:
1 - See this page: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster. First and foremost though follow the instructions of your contractor as to not void any warranty work.
2 - You may not be able to add salt for 30 days, so you will be on liquid chlorine (bleach). Do not SLAM with new plaster. I would have the granular stabilizer ready to hang in a sock near your return jet immediately upon fill. For the first 30 days, start with a CYA target of about 40. Use the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below)and liquid bleach to maintain FC appropriate with that CYA probably an FC of around 5-6. Start slow for the first day or two (2-3ppm) then go up to 5-6. After the plaster break-in is done and you can add salt, crank-up that SWG and raise the CYA to 70 and adjust accordingly. The tabs would just take too long to use.
3 - As for the LED lights, I have them for my pool. Very nice with different programming features. Personal preference I Guess.

Hope that helps.

Congrats! That is going to be great!

Yes, it is fine to use up your bucket of tabs to raise your CYA level. Monitor your FC level closely at first to make sure it stays up and add bleach/liquid chlorine if the pucks can't keep up. Use Poolmath to determine how much CYA your pucks will add, there is a section called effects of adding chemicals.

What vintage is your pool? Was the plaster original? I'm always curious to see how long various finishes last versus the "quoted" lifespans that we all hear from PB's.

Hey Flappy! Glad to hear you're getting a reno done. Good luck with that.

Advice given so far is from top-flight TFPers. Listen to them.

Tabs are fine for raising CYA but they are slow to dissolve and quite acidic. So while they will bump up your CYA, they will lower pH and TA which is not good for fresh plaster/pebble. Best option in my opinion is to use granular stabilizer, liquid chlorine and muriatic acid to control the pH rise. Depending on the startup method, you might need baking soda for raising TA but that depends on what your PebbleTec installer is going to require. Talk to them about their startup method so that you don't void the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your replies (and good advice)! Now that we finally have sun again, I can see that most of the dark spots were merely moisture and I doubt black algae exists although there is some green. It is amazing how bad the plaster really is. Rough spots, cracks, etc. Should have done this years ago.

What vintage is your pool? Was the plaster original? I'm always curious to see how long various finishes last versus the "quoted" lifespans that we all hear from PB's.

The pool was built in 2004 and is a dyed plaster. We bought the house in 2012 but it was a foreclosure and bank-owned for over a year. The pool sat empty for at least part of that time.

Realizing that I am early in the process, I must proclaim that I'm extremely happy with the pool company thus far. Prices are competitive; they aren't trying to oversell and even provide guidance when I ask for something that won't add much value; and they provide excellent communication. They were referred to me by a coworker and I wasn't led astray. For folks in Tucson, PM me and I will be happy to share the name.

Recent storms delayed the timeline by one day and the total chip starts tomorrow. The pool is completely drained and awaiting the facelift. Even some critters moved in:

IMG_0726_zpsbcddgajd.jpg

I'll post more pictures as renovations progress...

- Flappy

Looks like a banded orb weaver, fairly common. Probably hoping to start a nice huge web in your empty pool and capture some tasty snacks. They make spectacular webs.

so, all that water that seems to still be weeping out of the tile in your pic, long after the water was drained... Was there water getting behind the tile and up under the decking? Are they going to regrout/seal the tile?

Just cleaning at this point. We had a significant storm roll through and the photo was taken just after things started to clear up. Got quite a bit of rain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool company got a couple of days behind due to last week's storm but it looks like they are making an effort to catch up. Plaster chip kicked off this morning with an army of pool dudes - 7 in all.
Forgive the quality of the first photo - I am at work and connecting to the outdoor web cam:

Capture_zpsjaogay1y.png

These two were sent to me from the wife:
image1_zpsxzbqq2jz.jpg

image3_zps3oh1mh2i.jpg

I'll post more when I get home from work.

- Flappy

Good to have a big crew. The chip-out work will go fast. Tell the wife to keep the windows and doors closed, the plaster dust will get kicked up by even the tiniest breeze.

Can't wait to see the final result! Good luck!!

Matt

PS- Nice outdoor kitchen!!

Looks like the chip is complete:

IMG_0750_zps0zh1q776.jpg

IMG_0749_zps3mdxqw66.jpg

IMG_0751_zpsxxrykzhm.jpg

Some of the work scares me a little. Did they go too deep? I don't see sand but they raise an eyebrow:
IMG_0753_zpsmqhyls20.jpg

IMG_0757_zpshpg9vbuu.jpg

The good news is that no tiles were harmed in the chipping of this plaster. Hoping the tile cleaner guy and/or the deck dude comes tomorrow.

One more question: I'm trying to decide on colors for the accent tile embedded into the steps. We're getting the StoneScapes Aqua Blue for the base. I am thinking Navy tiles; the wife is thinking an off white. Anyone have the Aqua Blue and if so, which worked for you?

Thanks as always for your advice.

- Flappy

I bet they were tired after all of that work!

Better they got all of the loose stuff OUT! I bet it was loose and they kept going until they found solid. If they had left any loose stuff in there the chances of it failing in the future goes up. They can/will fill it in.

What about bling glass 1"x1"???????? SHINY! You could cut the sheets to fit where you need them.

blue glass 1x1 pool tile - Google Search

Kim

I agree with Kim. They were either voids in the original shotcrete, bad aggregate mix or loose chunks. The PB needs to see them and fill them. Why don't you give your PB a call and ask? I'm sure he'll let you know what he plans to do.

As for tiles, I have no opinion. I find the subject to be too subjective as everyone's tastes are different. I'm sure that, whatever you pick, it will look great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.