Saltwater chlorinator timer intermittently not providing power

Oct 16, 2014
Australia
Hi,

My wife and I have an “Onga RP3000SC” as our saltwater cholorinator.

It is currently set to run 8am – 10am and 2pm – 6pm.

Yesterday I noticed that it was 9am and I could not here anything running. I went out and had a look at the chlorinator and the timer dial was correctly showing 9am but no power was supplied to the chlorinator/pump. I gave the timer face a gentle tap with my finger and everything powered up (and I flicked the switch to manual until such time as the 2 hours had been “caught up”).

I have the owners manual but it doesn’t have a great deal of troubleshooting information in it.

The above issue is intermittent, most days it starts up at 8am/2pm just fine and shuts down when it should.

Perhaps there is a simple way to remove the timer face and give everything a good clean (if that’s what the problem is)?

Cheers.

It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. I would turn off and disconnect the power and then make sure all power connections are cleaned and tightened. There might be some corrosion on a connection over the winter.

From what I can see, I bet the timer needs service. Since it's mechanical, you might be able to clean it with some compressed air like for cleaning computers. It sounds like the switch contacts are dirty or have stuff in them.

If you are comfortable taking it apart you could post a few pics of the timer and maybe that will bring up more conversation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.