New Liner & Water Yesterday : How to Close?

OneMom

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Had to have a new liner installed yesterday. (Why, why, why couldn't we have had the catastrophic failure of the liner in May...lol?) The pool was filled with approx 7,000 gallons of water delivered by truck & we are adding approx 16,000 gallons from our hose. The water temp is in the 50s. We usually close by now, which involves shocking, and draining 25% of the water out once all lines are blown out, etc. At this moment, the hose is still running because the pool isn't even full enough to run our pump yet. We haven't even bothered to test the water yet.

Do we need to completely add all chlorine, stablizer, ph/alkalinity...etc until the water is completely balanced before we close the pool by shocking & draining? On the one hand, that seems like an enormous waste of time & money, given that we're going to be instantly shutting down & draining the pool. In fact, the pool store guy said we shouldn't bother to completely fill the pool...since we need to close. He said to just mix 1 gallon of chlorine with 4 gallons of water & dump into the pool gradually, mixing up the water as we go...repeating that process 4 more times.

On the other hand, since we've been using the BBB method for years, it intuitively seems very wrong to close the pool for 8 months without having all of our chemicals in balance. We think that we should spend the time, effort, & money to balance the pool first. However, if we're completely off base with our thinking, please set us straight!

The cold water is going to slow the growth of algae way down. If you have a little submersible pump you can set it up so it circulates the water if you want, then balance your pH if needed. You can also use it to bring the pool to shock level for closing. Brushing the pool will also help mix the water. I assume you will be covering the pool, so I would wait until spring to add CYA. If you know your water has iron then you will want to either treat the water with sequestrant or not raise the FC to shock level. Try to open the pool as early as you can. Then you can add your CYA and balance the pool after it is filled.

I just got a new liner and fresh fill two weeks ago.

but I keep mine open year round.

It shouldn't cost all that much to get it balanced and time wise your looking at maybe 1-1 1/2 weeks time.

I'd balance it first THEN close. You don't want your PH being wrong on a new liner right?
(though most fill water is close to good ph)

In fact, the pool store guy said we shouldn't bother to completely fill the pool...since we need to close.

I do not believe the pool store guy will come out if there are issues with liner wrinkles, steel pool walls that may have shifted from winter problems, etc. You have a new liner and the pressure on both sides is what keeps everything in harmony, especially in a liner pool. If this was concrete, maybe a different story as they have a stronger type of support.

Please fill up your pool to the levels that need be. You could get away with closing the skimmer(s) and valve(s) to the piping if no water is in there and only work off the main drain. Because of the weather, I do not believe this will cause any circulation issues. The water level could go above the returns until you get the pool properly balanced, then you can lower if you wish upon closing. Depending the fill water, you may only spend a day or so adjusting the chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.