Balancing Water With Cover On

Sep 19, 2014
MI
All -

We didn't get our water balanced in time and had a company come out and close our pool. It is a 30k gal gunite pool. I have a pump in the pool with a hose that runs to the other side of the pool, hoping this will be enough circulation for the chemicals we are and will be adding. We are attempting to balance the pool with the cover on by opening a few feet on one side. So far, we have added muriatic acid to get the pH down (waited 1 day). Next step is adding a bottle of PhosFree to get the phosphates down (waiting 1-2 days). Finally we are going to shock the pool with Calcium Hypochlorite.

Are all of these possible with just the circulation pump we have and without a filter running?
Is this the right order to add the products?
What level of FC do I need to get to with the Calcium Hypo to winterize my pool?

Thanks!

Hello! I'm a bit confused as to why the pool company didn't balance your chemicals before closing. :confused: In any case, to better serve you, it would be best if we knew your test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 kit. Without knowing your current levels, we would only be guessing about what to add now. I will add this however, be cautious about what you add based on pool store or pool company advise. You would think they know better, but we often learn that's not the case. For example, when you add acid, there's no need to wait a full day before moving on to the next item. As for PhosFree, if it's new - return it. A properly maintained pool doesn't need to remove algae food because it has no algae to begin with. Use the money to obtain the proper test kit if you don't have one already. FC - absolutely you need it. We typically use regular liquid bleach. But how much depends on your current CYA (stabilizer) level. All of these things boil-down to the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006. As for the Cal-Hypo, do you know your current CH level? It's important before you add more CH. Also, at TFP we don't "shock" in the sense the way pool stores say to shock, we simply maintain the appropriate FC level all the time which is why our water is typically so nice.

You might like to see this: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Please post a full set of those test results and we'll be able to help you close for the season. Have a nice evening.

PS ~ Sorry about the info overload. It may seem like a lot, but we want to help you before the cold really sets-in on you. :)

Thanks. We did a partial close with the pool company so we are responsible for draining, balancing chemicals and putting the cover on. They are responsible for blowing out the pipes and winterizing. Our fault we didn't get the water balanced earlier..
I have a proper test kit from this site so should be set on that. I will post all levels when I get home tonight.

Thanks.

FC is 3. CH 300. TA 80. Ph 7.2. Copper 0. Iron 0. Dissolved solids 500. Phosphates 0.

What should the FC be at to close? The ph should raise some with the calcium hypo I am using. Anything else I'm missing?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Unless I missed it somewhere, we need to know your CYA in order to determine what your FC should be as listed on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. But based on those test results, I have to ask ... are they from the pool store or your own test kit? They look like pool store tests. We (TFP) don't normally pay much attention to phosphates or TDS. :)

Also, Cal-Hypo will raise CH and FC (a little). pH is raised with borax, soda ash, and aeration.

Based on that CYA of 40, when closing you are supposed to raise your FC to the SLAM level of 16 and let it mix for 24 hours. If you plan on adding Polyquat 60, you'll want to let that FC come back down on its own halfway to 8 before adding the Poly 60. Hope that helps.

Ok thanks am going SLAM it up to 16. Not planning on adding Polyquat. Can I leave it at 16 with the cover on or should i leave an end open to let it come down to 8 before i keep the cover on for the winter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.