Pool Heating Solution for Florida ?

Sep 13, 2015
Bradenton
Hi Guys,

As winter approaches I am looking at heating solutions for our small 8,000 gallon pool.

We get Tampa Bay, FL sunshine from 11:30AM(ish) on through the day.

Any cost effective solutions ?

Thank you!

(We also have a heated community pool across the street we can use so we have that option as well)

First thing I would do is get a good solar cover. You're going to want it either way, and you might find that it does a good enough job all on it's own.

We will need the dimentions of your pool to be really helpful in this case, because surface area is important.

Well unless you have natural gas at your house you would need to consider a propane heater with a propane tank or a heat pump which is like your AC unit. You also need to decide if you want to keep the pool heated all winter or are you just plan on heating for special occasions and maybe a weekend or so. A gas/propane heater will heat your pool no matter what. A heat pump is less efficient in heating when outside temps are 60 or less.

First thing I would do is get a good solar cover. You're going to want it either way, and you might find that it does a good enough job all on it's own.

We will need the dimentions of your pool to be really helpful in this case, because surface area is important.

20' x 9' (estimate) - no poles or anything impeding in the pool area

- - - Updated - - -

Well unless you have natural gas at your house you would need to consider a propane heater with a propane tank or a heat pump which is like your AC unit. You also need to decide if you want to keep the pool heated all winter or are you just plan on heating for special occasions and maybe a weekend or so. A gas/propane heater will heat your pool no matter what. A heat pump is less efficient in heating when outside temps are 60 or less.

Yes, we have natural gas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, what is the cost of a 400K Raypak?

Before you pull the trigger, you may need to get a plumber's input on how you will supply the NG. Typically you want pool heaters to be on a completely separate run of gas line with a large enough line diameter to feed the heater. If you simply stub the heater off an existing line, the line may not be sufficient to handle the load and you could starve other gas devices on the line, eg, knock out the pilot on a gas water heater.

An additional 400kBTU will probably also require a larger capacity gas meter at the street service connection.

Just some thoughts as I have a 400kBTU/hr Pentair and it needed its own gas line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent you a PM with some info on a guy in your area that can help you out.

Thanks bud.

- - - Updated - - -

To summarize my understanding, the proper steps to take for a pool heater are:

1. Buy a solar cover and see how that affects water temp. (and will want in anyway to protect pool?)

2. Consider the investment/cost of installing a 400k Raypak pool heater (using natural gas).

Am I understanding correctly?

Solar Cover for sure. I went Heat Pump in Texas. Still at 86 and only takes 3-4 hrs to heat up from night time cool down (which is only 2-3 degrees with cover on). Also having pool at 86 makes it much easier to roll up cover (I have kidney shaped pool with 3 cover sections). I also switched from Propane to Heat pump for heating my house and my bills are lower all year long.

Solar Cover for sure. I went Heat Pump in Texas. Still at 86 and only takes 3-4 hrs to heat up from night time cool down (which is only 2-3 degrees with cover on). Also having pool at 86 makes it much easier to roll up cover (I have kidney shaped pool with 3 cover sections). I also switched from Propane to Heat pump for heating my house and my bills are lower all year long.

Thanks guys!

Can you point me to the best brand of Solar Cover to consider for our 20' x 9' pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.