Pentair single speed 1 HP pump ?

It really depends on your electric cost. But in the end I think most would say, yes. Some folks get a quicker return on the investment if their electric is high. Mine is only .10 per kilo so it would take quite a while to pay for itself. Somebody paying .40 per kilo would get there 4 times faster.

It really depends on your electric cost. But in the end I think most would say, yes. Some folks get a quicker return on the investment if their electric is high. Mine is only .10 per kilo so it would take quite a while to pay for itself. Somebody paying .40 per kilo would get there 4 times faster.

Thanks pal! What make and model(s) are most recommended ?

Quickest return on your money at most any electrical rate is a 2 speed usually pays for its self in a year or two. VS usually take several years but the pool geek factor on a VS pump is priceless. Check your local power provider, many offer some sort of rebate to upgrade may make the decision easier to see what qualifies for a rebate should they have one.

Another option would be to just replace your current motor with two speed motor. It is cheaper, requires no plumbing changes and will likely have a lower lifetime cost than a VS pump given your energy costs.

I have not seen any significant evidence to suggest the lifetime is longer or short for any type of pump motor.

Probably one of the most common failures of motors is that the pool owner fails to detect when the shaft seal has failed which then rusts the motor bearings. Not really a failure of the motor though.

Another common failure with standard motors (1 & 2 speeds) is a failed capacitor. But those are really easy to replace and fairly cheap.

As for VS motors, besides bearing failure, the drive can fail and are very susceptible to power surges so if you go this route, make sure you install surge protection for the drive. On this forum, a failed drive is almost always due to lack of surge protection. I don't think I have seen a failed drive with surge protection. At least not yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A.O. Smith: B2980 (230v) or a B2981 (115v) depending on the current voltage wiring. They also have versions come with timers (B2980T/B2981T) if you want that.

Just google the motor numbers to find places to buy them.

A.O. Smith: B2980 (230v) or a B2981 (115v) depending on the current voltage wiring. They also have versions come with timers (B2980T/B2981T) if you want that.

This is likely the exact replacement motor I'll be going for when I replace my dry end, maybe next spring. This B2980 I believe is a 3/4 HP, I may go with a B2982 @ 1 HP. Not sure yet.

Superflo is an up rated pump so the 3/4 HP full rated motor is large enough for a 1 HP Superflo pump.

Energy use will be about the same between an over sized motor or a "right" sized motor. It is mostly the impeller that determines energy use (motor efficiency too). Motor label ratings are for full load but an impeller is much less than full load on an over sized motor.

Thanks guys.

Where is the best place to buy these motors?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

Will I need to add surge protection when installing the new motor?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.