Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST lounger /raft?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the BEST lounger /raft?

My wife is of the opinion that all pool floats are about the same and regardless how how much you spend, will last about one season and have to be replaced.

It's tough to argue since that has been our experience so far. We've already gone through a couple rafts of varying price.

I'm looking for a raft that sits uprights, somewhat, and has cup holders. Should I buy a $10 King cool and just plan on replacing it next year or is there a better one that will actually last a few years. I don't mind spending more, but I don't want to waste my money.

I'm looking for first hand experience.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2
    My wife just bought a nice heavy duty white and blue shaped pool floater by dolfino which is great EXCEPT the beer holder is not deep enough and you lose your drink in the drink, so if you have a separate beer caddy or floating tray - great, otherwise I don't recommend it based on no place for the drink.
    Another good one is the 6 flags (walmart) palm tree unit - it has a water pump with a misting unit on a palm tree for those really unbearable days - and the cupholder works

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sean,
    We've had a SwimWays Spring Float Recliner for about 3 yrs now and it has held up well. Although, we don't have our own pool (yet) and it has just been used on the occaisional trip to community pool, friend's pool, beach, etc.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4
    I guess I could live without the cup holder - could always get a floating caddy.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5

Anything made with essolite foam ( I think that is how it's spelled)

look for the word " unsinkable"

this is the same stuff that all the high-end resorts and spas use for their pools
    and it is also often used for making PFD's (life jackets)

it costs a bit more... like I think in the $70 to $110 (usd) range for just the basic mat ( & they do make chairs & loungers out of it as well), but it holds up really well for multiple seasons.

6. Back To Top    #6

The swimways floats are very comfortable. However, we had to replace one at the end of the season last year and another one is ripping. Their seams come apart with wear and tear pretty easily. At 30 - 40 bucks each, might be smarter to get something you don't blow up, but the inital cost is a lot on some of them.
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry
    Texas Recreation makes the best rafts/floats in the industry. Their website is: http://www.texasrec.com/
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

8. Back To Top    #8
    those are NICE - how does the foam hold up to suntan lotion and bugspray??

9. Back To Top    #9
    How do you order their chairs? I can't seem to find away to buy anything from their website.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

10. Back To Top    #10
    Oh those look wonderful. I love the loungers. Who sells them (that obviously was the mfg site and didn't say prices, etc) I'm sure these are similar to the expensive ones at Sams Club appx $80 and up.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleB4me
    How do you order their chairs? I can't seem to find away to buy anything from their website.
    Look what I found with an Amazon serach,
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... II&x=0&y=0

That baja II from Texas Recreation looks like a good compromise on features and price. I think I'm going to give it a try.
    TFP Founder

12. Back To Top    #12
    Thanks, Sean. I agree, baja II looks like the one to get! Happy floating.
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

13. Back To Top    #13
    That's a nice lounger!

Depends on what you want to do, I guess. For a basic flat float, we like our Unsinkable Molly Brown floats the best. We don't really pull out the loungers too much.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry
    www.pooltoy.com sells products from Texas Rec. The Texas Rec products are a bit more money but they are very good. Just keep them out of the sun when they're not in use and they'll last for years.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

15. Back To Top    #15

Im looking for a cheapie like this one...
    http://www.pooltoy.com/sofoch.html

Anyone know one under 40 bucks or so... i dont care if it only lasts a season or so.

Also, dont care if its blow up or not... just as long as its a chair... i dont want the leg rest
    Andy
    15' X 4' Round AG
    BBB method and loving it!

16. Back To Top    #16
    I have the Baja chair and I think it is a great float. The only thing I was a little disappointed in is the fact that the floating position looks more upright in the pictures than it actually is. I wanted something that I could sit upright in, but when you sit in this lounge you actually recline quite a bit more than I would of thought. Its still a nice float, but keep that in mind.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

17. Back To Top    #17
    I did see that Sam's Club has a couple of loungers that actually sit upright. One was actually a loveseat sized type with cup holder on one side and a mini cooler built in to the arm on the other side. The other one was just a chair type unit. Then they had the foam type flat ones (unsinkables) The one thing with some of the chair type units is that they are tippy - towards the front so you lean forward and can end up in the drink. The loungers were nicer where you can stretch out your legs. Anyway, they all ran between $40-$70.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    I guess I could live without the cup holder - could always get a floating caddy.
    I thought the whole purpose of a pool lounger was to keep your favorite adult beverage close at hand.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

19. Back To Top    #19

It is unless your a married man... and then she does it for you
    lol j/k
    Andy
    15' X 4' Round AG
    BBB method and loving it!

20. Back To Top    #20
    Bought one of these Baja adjustable chairs last year for my wife and she loves it. The one that I bought is adjustable from a totally upright position to a flat position. The chair seems that it will hold up for a few years at this rate.
    18 x 36 21k gal. IG / DiamondBrite / Aquarite SWCG/ 1hp Pentair WhisperFlo pump/Pentair C&C 150 cart. filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast