New here with a cloudy pool

Oct 6, 2015
TX
Hello everyone!
I just started taking care of our pool, and let me say, what a great resource this forum has been so far. I hope that you guys will help me figure it out and hopefully I will return the favor when I am an expert :D

So, we've had a pool service and I've never really tried to educate myself re: pool stuff. However, a bunch of bad experiences with the said service later, I've decided to take over the maintenance. There were 2-3 weeks where the equipment wasn't working and I hadn't figured out the chemicals etc. so the water got out of balance, it wasn't a total swamp but it was getting there. Slowly I am trying to get it back to normal.

I just ordered Taylor TF-100 kit last night so until it arrives, I'm at the mercy of our local pool store for testing etc. I went there 9/30 for the first water test and this is what I got:

Saturation index 0.2, CYA 47, Total Chlorine 0.1, Free Chlorine 0.1, pH 8.4, TA 105, Adj. TA 91, Total Hardness 55, Minerals 1600, Borates 9

I put in 2 bags of salt (hadn't figured out that the SWG wasn't working - pls see signature), 8 lb. calcium, 2 lb. stabilizer, 1/3 gal acid, 3 lb. shock, 1 bottle banish.
(I promise to check in here before adding that big bucketload of chemicals to the pool in the future!!)

Over the weekend, had a pool guy come to clean the filter cartridges. He tested and said, chlorine was non-existent and to add soda ash. I'm not sure how much was added but half of a 24 oz. fast food drink cup would be my guess. I had initially asked his opinion about the pool being cloudy and he offered to put in clarifier. Well, the morning he came, the water looked clear so I told him not to add anything. He didn't. Starting sunday, water is cloudy again. I have been adding trichlor tablets in the skimmer baskets. (I know this is bad, will stop immediately)

This morning (10/7), I went to get water tested again. Here are the readings:
Saturation index -0.4, CYA 81, Total Chlorine 0.5, FC 0.1, pH 76, TA 91, Adjusted TA 67, Total Hardness 101, Minerals 1600, Borates 5

OK so first of all I noticed that at the very least their mineral (salt?) test is bad. I double checked my SWG reading with the pool guy's test and it is 2700 ppm after 2 bags of salt so I will disregard their readings. And also since we're not using the SWG AND the swimming season is over, will not be adding more salt unless we decide to get the sensor repaired.
I also noticed that CYA has gone up and I need to stop using the trichlor tablets.

Anyway SO here is the issue I need help fixing:

The water is still cloudy. It's not REALLY cloudy, I can still see 7-8 ft down into the deep end and can see the drains etc. but it is not as clear as I would like it.

These are the chemicals I have on hand:

1. 2 lbs. of (overpriced) shock (with receipt, can return)

2. 3 1-gallon jugs of household bleach.

I assume I need to SLAM the pool. Do I need to take care of any other chemicals? My new kit was just shipped today so I figure I can't test myself for another week until it gets here. With numbers such as these, how many gallons of bleach and/or other stuff do I need to hoard for SLAMing?

When should I get the water tested again? Anything else I'm missing?

In other words, What should I be doing? I'm nearly clueless!

Please help! Thank you :)

Hello and welcome! For now, until your kit arrives:
1 - Return the bags of shock. :)
2 - Just add one gallon of bleach each day until the kit arrives. That's just to keep things from getting any worse
3 - If you have any tablets/pucks in the pool, remove them (save for vacation)
As soon as your kit arrives, post a full set of numbers for us and we'll go from there.
Very happy to have you join us. :wave:

- - - Updated - - -

The only other thing .. spend a few minutes on the TFP Pool School page and "SLAM" page (links below) They will come-in handy soon. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Please let me know if this is wrong. Add bleach in a pencil thin stream in front of a jet. (I have no idea how I know this. I've been binging on pool care youtube videos and reading articles for a few days)

My pump will run another three hours. (am running about 10 hrs everyday) Is this enough or should it run longer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.