Trying to slow down the corrosion process with an swg...

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
I see that Ag pools and swg don't mix well. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process of the salt corroding the metal when the water spills out on the sides and hits the bottom of the pool wall?

I'm attatching a wall foam and bottom foam, in case that matters. Should I wrap the putside with anything? Maybe pitch the ground down away from the pool? I'm guessing that's not wise to do.

Should I spray it with something before I assemble it, or after I assemble it? Maybe grese it with something where it touches the ground?

Anyone do anything like this?

It is a metal and resin pool mix. Just a few resin parts. Not 100%. Walls are defintely steel.

Depending on how much rain you get and how much water splashes out, rinsing the frame with a garden hose once in a while ought to do it. If you get a lot of rain you probably don't even need to do that.

Lazyman said:
I see that Ag pools and swg don't mix well. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process of the salt corroding the metal when the water spills out on the sides and hits the bottom of the pool wall?

I'm attatching a wall foam and bottom foam, in case that matters. Should I wrap the putside with anything? Maybe pitch the ground down away from the pool? I'm guessing that's not wise to do.

Should I spray it with something before I assemble it, or after I assemble it? Maybe grese it with something where it touches the ground?

Anyone do anything like this?

It is a metal and resin pool mix. Just a few resin parts. Not 100%. Walls are defintely steel.

I haven't seen any corrosion issues on my all steel pool. I don't do anything special.

I'm going to take a guess here and say it doesn't matter if you have a swg or just do bbb; if water sits next to metal; it will rust. We are in the process of changing out liners and we have one rust spot on the inside wall where our very first patch was; four years ago. We have never had a SWG. I'm guessing it's trickle leaked for a while for the rust to be there. We sanded and rustoleum'd; I hope that's enough.

If Chemgeek, or someone else can shed light on whether or not the corrosion in SWG pools is from the NACl in the water, or, as many have suggested, because the more saline water conducts electricity better.

As regards the latter, good grounding, high quality SS screws on faceplates, and possibly sacrificial anodes might help.

budster said:
If Chemgeek, or someone else can shed light on whether or not the corrosion in SWG pools is from the NACl in the water, or, as many have suggested, because the more saline water conducts electricity better.

As regards the latter, good grounding, high quality SS screws on faceplates, and possibly sacrificial anodes might help.
It's both. The higher conductivity (mostly from the Na+ and Cl- ions) increases the rate of galvanic and electrochemical corrosion. In addition, certain metals that depend on passivity layers such as aluminum and stainless steel (and possibly copper to some extent) corrode faster in the presence of higher levels of chloride (and sulfates) which interfere with the rate of reformation of the passivity layer. Whether this is a problem depends on the specific rates relative to other things that affect the life of these components.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.