How well does the ladder need cleaned?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I took the ladder out in preparation for closing. The bottom of the rungs were pretty well coated with algae. This is probably partially due to the ladder not being cleaned before putting it in for the season- I didn't know any better at the time. I sprayed it with bleach and hosed it off, but there is still a texture to it that scrapes off with my fingernail- I can't tell if it's the fiberglass degrading or dead algae that built up over the years (does this even happen?). Anyways, the rungs are molded with many X patterns, which would be very difficult to clean. Will spraying with bleach and hosing off be sufficient, along with storing in a dry place for the winter, or does it really need scrubbed?

The hard stuff (texture) might just be scale. But I would definitely do everything possible to eliminate algae any scrubbing and trying to get into all those nooks & crannies. At least with your pool season coming to an end, that should help kill any algae by removing the ladder. If your ladder has hollow steps though, you might still want to see if you can get into those areas. The stagnant water will sit there for a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.