Heater questions

806pool

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2015
So. Cal.
Does a gas heater need to be used on occasion to keep it in good condition? We haven't really used it and it got me wondering if we should run it on occasion to keep things going or if it is designed to sit for long periods without use.

Next question.
When the pump is running, the water is passing through the heater piping (heater not on). Is this normal or should there be a bypass or valve so to speak to avoid the heater if it's not in use.

I am going to be redoing some plumbing, so now is the time to make things "right"

Thanks.

I'm no expert but I turn mine for about 15 minutes every week or two while it the pool is open. Does it help anything? I don't know but I figure that if anything is just moving in, the heat will help change its mind.

As for plumbing, the water always goes through the heater, this is how it detects if it needs to start heating, if has reached the target temp, if it has enough flow, etc.

Does a gas heater need to be used on occasion to keep it in good condition? We haven't really used it and it got me wondering if we should run it on occasion to keep things going or if it is designed to sit for long periods without use.

Next question.
When the pump is running, the water is passing through the heater piping (heater not on). Is this normal or should there be a bypass or valve so to speak to avoid the heater if it's not in use.

I am going to be redoing some plumbing, so now is the time to make things "right"

Thanks.

I usually suggest that once a month or every other month the homeowner run it for maybe 30 minutes. It is a little hard for the "snow birds" to do this as they are gone for up to 6 months.

Water going thru it all the time is fine. Just keep your water in balance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.