Fish smelling water and rash

Oct 6, 2015
Kaufman
I have had my pool for 6 years and never had any problems. Within the past month my pool has smelled like dead fish and after swimming in it I developed an rash, I know, yuck! Chemicals all tested fine, any suggestions tired of itching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

As you read more and more on the forum, you will know that EVERY piece of advise we give to you will be based on accurate test results. Precise test results provided by you and your own good test kit......we do not believe pool store testing.

That said, your chemistry is not fine or you wouldn't have that smell or be suffering that rash.

We can help clear your pool easy enough but you will have to give us a starting point we can rely on and that means posting your own test results.

Hey there Annie :) Where is Kaufman? Knowing the state or region helps us factor in environmental information in to our answers when appropriate.

You need a RELIABLE test kit (and store testing is NOT reliable) but we only recommend one of two kits- The Taylor's K-2006 or the TF-100. Both can be found at TFTestkits.net , PoolSupplyWorld.com and occasionally the K-2006 at local stores. No other test kit provides all the information accurately that these two do, and what you'll spend on them will almost always save you gobs of money on unnecessary or overpriced chemicals down the road. Once you have your kit you can give us the test results we need and we'll be able to help you fix that icky smelling water.
:testkit:

Thanks! After reading all the great info on here I ordered a test kit today because I know something is seriously wrong. I am in Texas.

Good move on getting the test kit ordered. Which did you go with?

Update your profile so that it says Kaufman, TX. That way experts know what region you're in at a glance with every post you might make.

Also, update your signature with details about your pool, how you chlorinate and how you test so that's also available for experts to help. All these things may change the advice you're given in some way. You can click on Settings in the upper right, then Edit Signature on the Settings page to add your signature.

Yeah, I think this could go one of two ways....

1) Is too much CC and (maybe CYA) allowing the fishy smelling cooties to be growing in the water. If the itching is confined to the uh.... uh...... you know that area down south between Mittgaard and Sommersonnenwende, then I lean toward #1.... or,

2) Is too much TC and (maybe CYA) making the water smell that "bad pool" smell (chloramines). If you have the all over itchies and maybe red eyes, I lean toward #2....

I say all of that to say this: "I'd stay out of the pool until we get all this sorted out....." But, either way you are going to have to perform a SLAM and you might as well read up on that while awaiting the test kit's arrival....

LOL it's all over itch. It's terrible to be afraid of your own pool! I'm not giving up going to keep reading and doing all I can with this and hopefully by next summer I'll be swimming itch free!

Anniebelle! You will be SO glad you found TFP! We will get you all straightened out and help you lose the rash/itches.

We will also be able to save you money in the end as well!

So how have you been treating your pool up until now? Who has been doing the testing for you?

I would stay out of the pool for now.

You should also be looking for your best buy for bleach. Some fine it at Walmart (8.25%) or Costco. Some pool stores will sell you liquid chlorine (11%) but you will have to put a deposit down on the jugs.

I will let you do the math to see what the cheapest one is for you BUT it has to be fresh and easy for you to get as you may go through alot for a little while.

Hugs and Benadryl to you!

Kim

Thanks! This site has been helpful already! I certainly did not know you could put bleach in a pool but it certainly makes sense! Going to hit it hard this weekend and with Texas weather I might get to swim next week and hopefully no rash appears! I've been testing and treating my pool myself, but have not had any problems up until now. Soon as I get my kit I will post my readings and will be open for any suggestions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do note: While SLAMming, it is safe to swim up to SLAM level. In the case of your unique situation, though, you might want to hold off. I see you mention waiting a few days, so I just wanted to second that thought. :)

I started out testing with strips but they didn't seem very accurate, so I got the drops. I was treating with chlorine tablet & powered ph. Occasionally I would use a liquid algicide.

Thanks for the info! In all the articles I read it never mentioned how much bleach per gallons to use!

It's all based on the size of your pool and your CYA level. The CYA/Chlorine chart in my signature gives you the FC ranges you need to maintain. Then it's all about using Pool Math link at the top of the page to tell you how much bleach to use. Once you get your test kit, Pool Math is your best friend. Try using it now to calculate FC additions. Make up some numbers and get familiar with it. Getting to know Pool Math goes aloooooong way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.