Warranty issues with SWG and Above Ground Pools?

jake

Jun 21, 2008
Good day all....I was just wondering about the issues of using a SWG on a 15' above ground pool? It is a newly installed 15' X 52" pool, the sides are made of coated steel.

Both pool places I went to locally said that it voided the warranty if a SWG was used on any of their pools and that they did not recommend a SWG at all. (The cynical side of me thinking this is because they have big displays full of copper and mineral systems they would rather have us purchase instead).

We went with a SWG on my mother's IG pool last year and love it. I have a new Intex SWG I never used on our small Intex pool last we had last year and would like to use it with the new pool. I am not sure of any side effects the salt would have on the frame of the pool, and would appreciate any insight anyone could provide around the potential damage.

Thanks!

Many people use SWGs with above ground pools. The only problems you really hear about are the occasional low quality bolt on a ladder that rusts out.

The pool manufacturers are worried that water will splash out, or leak out, and get on the frame and then evaporate, leaving high levels of salt behind. If that happens regularly over a long period of time there could eventually be corrosion. If you live in a normally rainy area, rain will wash the salt off, preventing significant accumulations. If you live in a relatively arid area, it is a good idea to rinse the frame off once in a while.

Go for it. We use one on our AGP and have no issues. Just be sure to follow Jason's advise - rinse if you don't get rain.

I would never go back to the old method after being able to have this equipment do it for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.