Moles or gophers might get under pool. And ants

banditig

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2015
Ohio
I think I controlled the ant problem by sprinkling borax and DE near holes. But now I have raised mole or gopher underground tunnels that are dangerously close to my pool. I researched traps for them and they are kinda expensive, looking for opinions on best traps. They say they are anti social, so I think I have one in front yard and maybe more in back. Maybe both species not sure. Does anyone have any experience with best solutions? Prefer no chemicals but will consider it(well water). Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 134
Hello Bandit. We had an issue at our cabin with those little boogers. I'm a softy when it comes to harming anything, so I decide not to use the traps, chemicals, etc. What I ended up doing is buying several of those plastic sunflowers, windmills, etc. type things that you stick in the ground and the wind makes them spin, and thump, and placed them in different areas around the yard. Apparently they don't like them because of the sound and vibration (which I had read somewhere), and it forces them to relocate to somewhere else. It did the trick at my cabin, and might very well work for you too? Good luck, and keep us posted on what you end up doing, and how well it works for you.

I've never used those, so I can't say if they will or won't work. It looks the reviews are kind of so-so on them, but they might be worth a try? It says they use a buzzing vibration as the source to run the little rascals off.

You're probably right on why they're getting closer. The ground is probably softer where you backwash, and that makes it easier for them to burrow there. Have you considered extending your backwash hose further away from the pool, or to the sewer?

These are kind of like what I used http://www.amazon.com/Sunflower-Win...97969&sr=1-2&keywords=sunflower+wind+spinners, but you can find them much cheaper at places like Dollar General, Walmart, Lowe's, or Family Dollar in the garden sections.

If you go with the Solar deal let us know if it works or not. Have a nice night. :)

I called them thanks. They said problem is slugs. I put used cat litter in holes, but they just tunnel around in different area. I have a spring spike trap but have yet to get one. One thing that might have helped is DE. I bought a big huge box of DE from pool supply store, I only use a little in my sand filter. Also found out my multi port was siphoning water out after backwash, so I bought slotted drain pipe from lowes and gravel to make a kinda dry well away from pool. Now there is air gap between backwash hose and ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.