Keeping pool open and Aux/Cleaner Pump

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
I have a question about keeping the pool open and whether or not I need to run the aux/cleaner pump when it is freezing.

Where I live in NC, on average, we have a total of 61 days of below 32 degrees between November and April each year. During that time, 8 of those below freezing days will be below 20 degrees or a definite hard freeze.

I have an aux/cleaner pump and when the main pump is running there is water that circulates and comes through the pump into the pool although not as much as when the aux/cleaner pump is running. I have a Polaris 380 that I hook up to the aux/cleaner pump outlet in the pool. When the aux/cleaner pump is not running and only the main pump is running, water will shoot up about 3 - 4 feet in the air when on the deck, so much so that I have to cut off the main pump whenever changing the bag to keep from getting wet. If the aux/cleaner pump were running it would shoot water probably 10 feet in the air.

My question is this. Would the circulation from the main pump be enough to keep the aux/cleaner pump lines and pump housing from freezing or would I need to actually run the aux/cleaner pump motor especially on the nights when there is a hard freeze? I know there is no definite answer to this but am just asking if anyone has had experience with this kind of situation. I'm trying to weigh the cost benefits of keeping the pool open versus closing. I usually close the pool but have a mesh Loop Loc safety cover which lets water and light in so if I do close it I will be doing it late and opening early. If I have to run both pumps on cold nights that would definitely make me want to close the pool this winter due to the cost of running both pumps. Thanks for your help and any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Otter. Here's the Cliffs Notes version of my original question. With the main pump running and cleaner/aux pump off during freezing temperatures, does enough water pass through the cleaner/aux pump housing and above ground piping to keep it from freezing in the winter? For additional information please refer to my original post at the beginning of this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.