White Substance on pool walls

denny3

Oct 5, 2015
Toledo, Oh
Hello. We recently had an issue with our inground pool that was installed about 6 months ago. The installer puller the liner off to fix some problems and suspected a small leak.

The galvanized steel walls have white stains on them after less than 6 months of use. The stains are thicker at the bottom than the top of the wall. It is a vinyl liner, salt water pool.

Nothing was mentioned at the time and now I wonder if the white substance might be salt?

I have a friend who had to replace their liner under warranty after 2 years due to the seam coming apart. They too have a salt water pool but their walls didn't have any staining -the wall looked just like they did on install.

See attached pic. Would appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• Pool wall(1).jpg
    Pool wall(1).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 38
Hello and welcome to TFP! Sorry for the delay. I see t's been a couple days since you posted this question. Have you had any other thoughts or feedback locally from your pool folks on that white substance? I know you were initially asking about salt, was that ever confirmed? If not, what about calcium scale? If you are able to post a full set of water test results for us from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, we may be able to see if scale could be a contributing factor.

While you're at it, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later when we reply to your posts. :) Have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.