Newbie trying to balance pool chemicals prior to winter closing

Hi there,
We just finished our brand new inground pool a few weeks ago. We have a SWG, but we have not yet hooked that up based on the recommendation of our pool contractor (he suggested it is a waste of salt since we'll be lowering the pool for to close it for the winter shortly - we will start using the SWG when we open the pool in the spring). Instead he just gave us a bucket of chlorine pucks to use until closing time. We plan to close the pool in approx 2 weeks.

I just did my first test with my Taylor K-2006 testing kit. We are off on a number of factors (not surprisingly, I suppose) and so I am looking for advice on how I should balance the pool given that we will be closing it in two weeks. Here are my readings:
Chlorine: 0.8ppm
PH: 7.4
TA: 40PPM
CH: 500
CYA: almost nothing? I used the test and could see clear to the black dot on the bottom of the testing tube even when it was full.

I have used the "pool tool" calculator to determine what chemicals need to be added, but given we are so close to closing and this is all brand new to us, thought I would put it out to the group for some advice.

Also, FYI, we have purchased a winterizing pool kit to help with the closing. I know TFP doesn't generally recommend these kits, but thought for the sake of time and our lack of experience, we would use one for this first year only. This is what we purchased from specialty pool products (Winter Chemical Closing Kits - Small, Standard, Large and Ultimate Kit
The Ultimate Kit" (up to 35,000 gallons)
Our Ultimate Kit features the power of Natural Chemistry's Metal Free, & Pool Magic that both work hard to protect against staining & discoloration, using a natural enzyme-based formula.

• 1 Liter Natural Chemistry Metal Free
  • 3 Lbs. Chlorine-Free Shock
  • 1 Floater w/ 4 Lbs. Chlorine-Free Oxidizer
  • 1 Liter Natural Chemistry Pool Magic Spring & Fall w/ Phos-Free
  • 1 Winter Sorb
And:
Standard Kit (up to 15,000 gallons)

• 2 Lbs. Chlorine-Free Shock
  • 1 Floater w/ 2.5 Lbs. Chlorine-Free Oxidizer
  • 1 Qt Winterizing Algaecide
  • 1 Qt Winter Stain Away
  • 1 Winter Sorb

Thanks in advance for your help!

I know it's comforting and very common to buy the pool closing kits as a very new pool owner but you really do not need them. If you can, return them. The only thing that may be useful for you in closing is the algaecide, but even that is likely a cheap version of the only algaecide recommended here: polyquat-60.

Your pool has no CYA and needs some before next spring to protect your FC from sunlight. I would buy enough CYA to raise 30 ppm. Have you used any solid chlorine products before now? If you have used trichlor tablets, you have some CYA in the pool just not enough yet as trichlor adds CYA and FC. I would add enough of the CYA you purchased to bring the CYA up by 20 ppm, using the sock method in front of a return or in the skimmer basket. Pump running until it dissolves. Then check the CYA/Chlorine chart in my signature and use liquid chlorine/bleach to bring your FC up to the target for 30 ppm CYA, which is 4 ppm FC. Maintain your FC between 2 and 4 until closing. Then when you're ready to close, recheck the CYA level and raise the FC to shock level using liquid chlorine/bleach using the CYA/Chlorine chart again for the shock level.

Your TA is a bit low and you might have some issues with pH stability but I wouldn't raise it any higher than 60 ppm before closing. With a SWG next season, a TA between 60 and 80 is recommended because of the inherent nature of SWGs to cause pH rise. Lower TA will help keep that pH rise slower.

Back when I was using chlorine, my pool store would always sell me a special "winter shock", and would always have me adjust the TA, CH, etc. I think it was overkill and a bit unnecessary. The explanation on their water test sheets would always talk about how winter balancing needs to be "different" than during the swimming season. I am no longer certain that this is the case. Last season I didn't do anything special. The SI looked good, so I left it at that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.