Broken Sight Glass

Tdog61

Oct 4, 2015
Shawnee/KS
When winterizing the pool I broke the sight glass on the late model (3 years old) Hayward sand filter. Most of the exposed glass is shattered, but the threaded portion is in tact.

Anyone have a way to remove the threaded portion?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

My first try would be with a heave set of garden gloves trying to west it out as is.

If that didn't work I would use a very small screwdriver or scratch awl to break up the rest of it out of the threads.

Safety first, before attempting any of this have anyone close wear safety glasses.

Welcome to TFP!

If you have a wine cork laying around, you may want to see if it will fit into the neck of the broken sight glass. As long as the cork sticks out far enough to grab with pliers - attempt to slowly unscrew the remnants. Or maybe careful use of needle-nose pliers to rotate it out.

Whatever plan of attack you use, be extra careful to keep body parts away from the broken glass - and wear safety goggles too.

I had a broken one several years back and was able to use needle nose pliers. As soon as it loosened up, it was easy to remove.

P
Welcome to TFP!

If you have a wine cork laying around, you may want to see if it will fit into the neck of the broken sight glass. As long as the cork sticks out far enough to grab with pliers - attempt to slowly unscrew the remnants. Or maybe careful use of needle-nose pliers to rotate it out.

Whatever plan of attack you use, be extra careful to keep body parts away from the broken glass - and wear safety goggles too.

I had a broken one several years back and was able to use needle nose pliers. As soon as it loosened up, it was easy to remove.
I really like the cork idea!!!

Plus, there are always corks available in my house.

I would recommend a set of "needle nose pliers" on each end. Possibly a second person helping. Grab firmly (wear gloves and eye protection) and at the same time gently turn counter-clockwise. This all depends if there is enough glass sticking out after the threads. Maybe applying some lubricant may help.

One other option is to find something that could fit inside glass (maybe that could expand) on the end of a drill or a ratchet set. The whole concept is to grab and turn. Keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.