No suction

Sep 24, 2015
NewYork
Hi all, I recently replaced the capacitor on my pump but now i have no suction. Even after priming the pump it sucks the basket dry
but no circulation from the pool. Also when i shut everything down water seeps from the bottom of the pump, why is it not building pressure??
The impeller is moving okay no obstructions or cracks. Any advice would be very helpful....
Thank you in advance.

Check that your skimmer is staying full while the pump is trying to prime and not being emptied by the pump. Check valve positions to make sure they are open to the pool. Make sure the pump basket lid is tight and that the gasket or O-ring is in good shape and lubricated. Next check the drain plugs on the pump to be sure the O-rings or gaskets are good and that they are tight. Fill the basket with water, put the lid on and let the pump run for a minute or so.

Skimmer at pump empties straight away valves are in open position, and now that u mention it the "O" ring where the housing meets the pump is a little loose...but would that really cause the pump not to prime properly and fail to circulate???
So if I change the "O" rings and i still have an issue , am i screwed...??

Thank you,
I hope your wrong about the flow restriction,
I'm going to change all the "O" rings and gaskets and see if that helps my situation
maybe the pump is pulling in too much air through one of them(a long shot), will keep you posted...

Okay changed internal seal and the pump worked great but now 12 hrs later my pump sounds like a loud industrial pump,
A weird wheezing sound but its still working fine....... Is it possible the impeller is now rubbing against the pump wall???
The reason being the impeller does have a slight wobble to it when you turn it manually....

Turning the impeller manually, does it rub against anything? Is the wobble fixed as in the impeller is sitting slightly ajar on the shaft or does it move back 'n forth like? You might take apart the wet end and look at the housing and in general, inspect the motor/shaft and your previous work at replacing the seals.

How is the pressure on your filter? Any changes noted there?

Hi Chris,
Thank you for the reply, Pressure remains constant at the filter, Everything is working great except for the whizzing sound,
I have come to the conclusion the bearings are shot. Anyway the pool is closed for the season. Will let you know how it works out.

Sounds like the impellar is rubbing against the pumps difffuser which was likely caused from heat damage when the diffuser oring went out. In this situation i replace both impellar and diffuser. And since the thing got hot i replace the shaft seal as well so im not back in it 2 months later. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.