AGP - Slam successful 6 months ago - How do I get the junk out.

My sand filter has a "to waste" setting that will do the same thing. It bypasses the filter and shoots the water out the discharge tube. See if yours does.

Kim
Kim - mine does as well, but shoots the water out so fast that I only have a few minutes of vacuum time before the water level is below the skimmer. To truly get this stuff out I have to go "super" slow which takes a lot of time when vacuuming to waste. With the siphon method I can vacuum for hours if needed - all the while sending it to waste.

The one downside I see to the siphoning method is IMO it would be best to have another set of hoses to attach to it once it starts. This way you can direct the water out away from your pool so it isn't running underneath the pool the entire time.

Also if the bottom of your pool is only clear where the return is spraying water directly on it, either your filter isn't working correctly, or your jet could be positioned wrong to circulate the stuff around. Can you adjust the jet? If you can adjust it, be sure it is aiming downward, and pointing toward the right to help circulate everything to the center. If your filter is circulating, and the jet is positioned correctly, it should move the debris in about a 4x4, or 6x6, section to the center of the pool making the task of vacuuming much easier on you.

I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

The one downside I see to the siphoning method is IMO it would be best to have another set of hoses to attach to it once it starts. This way you can direct the water out away from your pool so it isn't running underneath the pool the entire time.

Also if the bottom of your pool is only clear where the return is spraying water directly on it, either your filter isn't working correctly, or your jet could be positioned wrong to circulate the stuff around. Can you adjust the jet? If you can adjust it, be sure it is aiming downward, and pointing toward the right to help circulate everything to the center. If your filter is circulating, and the jet is positioned correctly, it should move the debris in about a 4x4, or 6x6, section to the center of the pool making the task of vacuuming much easier on you.

I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

Currently the return jet is pointed straight down. I can adjust it as needed. Is there any pictures showing how it should be positioned? (also, if I am standing in the pool facing the jet, the skimmer is on the right of the jet return for reference.)

Down and away from skimmer would work best. Even a little more away, rather than down. What you are trying to do is set up a whirlpool motion. This will cause the debris to tend to concentrate in the middle more.

I know of at least a few folks that adapted a 90 elbow to really get the flow going to the side rather than in towards the center.

+1 on Bob's comment above.

I looked for an actual picture, but was unable to locate one. I will keep searching for one and will post it if I can locate one for you. You want to position it as Bob said away from the skimmer (My skimmer is to the left of my return so my eye points slightly downward, and to the right to create that "whirlpool effect" as Bob mentioned).

You want to position it in a way to achieve the best possible circulation for your pool, and in a position that moves that bottom debris around for you. The whirlpool effect will circulate it towards the middle, and with the smaller particles it will help prevent them from just sitting on the bottom. Once the smaller particles are up and in motion, it will also allow the filter to be able to help get them out of there better too.

You may have to position yours a couple times to get it at a direction that works best for Your pool. There will usually always be some area that doesn't get circulated as well as we'd prefer, but that's where the daily brushing, frequent vacuuming, etc. becomes very beneficial to get those areas. If the eye is positioned correctly, and your filter is working properly, the bottom of your pool shouldn't have that coating just sitting there like it is. I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

I have just re-read this whole thread. I am convinced what you are seeing on your pool floor is dead algae. Based on your description, it is NOT dirt.

The reason you have dead algae on the floor is because you have live algae ion your water.

So, how do you get your pool clear? SLAM it.

To SLAM a pool correctly, there is a whole lot more than just adding some chlorine. I again suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then you read how to SLAM the Pool.

Running the pump 24/7, vacuuming daily (in the "filter" position) and brushing as much as possible will be the key to your success.

Your test result of 10 CYA is essentially the same as zero since the test does not go that low, anyway. Zero CYA means there have probably been many times when your FC has been low enough for algae to get a foothold.

You are playing pattycake with the dead algae on your pool floor. It must be brushed up into the pool to let the skimmers take it in to your filter.

I could add a lot more but the fact will always remain you need to SLAM the pool......until you do that (and do it correctly) your problems will continue.

+1 on Bob's comment above.

I looked for an actual picture, but was unable to locate one. I will keep searching for one and will post it if I can locate one for you. You want to position it as Bob said away from the skimmer (My skimmer is to the left of my return so my eye points slightly downward, and to the right to create that "whirlpool effect" as Bob mentioned).

You want to position it in a way to achieve the best possible circulation for your pool, and in a position that moves that bottom debris around for you. The whirlpool effect will circulate it towards the middle, and with the smaller particles it will help prevent them from just sitting on the bottom. Once the smaller particles are up and in motion, it will also allow the filter to be able to help get them out of there better too.

You may have to position yours a couple times to get it at a direction that works best for Your pool. There will usually always be some area that doesn't get circulated as well as we'd prefer, but that's where the daily brushing, frequent vacuuming, etc. becomes very beneficial to get those areas. If the eye is positioned correctly, and your filter is working properly, the bottom of your pool shouldn't have that coating just sitting there like it is. I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

Ok, so I have adjusted the position of the "eye ball valve" and pointed it down and right (basically at 45 degree angle away from the skimmer). Now when I run the pump I can see the water on the surface of the pool moving in a whirlpool motion around the pool. It is very noticeable that the water is moving around the perimeter of the pool. There is also a ripple effect across the surface of the pool.

I have never seen this much water movement so this must be better than before. Before I could not see any disturbance at the surface of the water nor could see any action of the pool water moving.

I also notice a line in the water coming out of the skimmer about 1.5 feet or so at the water surface (resembles a very very small wake - like you would get from a boat motor moving in the water). This seems to be dragging debris on the surface into the skimmer.

Do you feel from the above description that this is the correct position of the eye valve? It seems to be doing "a lot" now, where there was no movement before.

- - - Updated - - -

I have just re-read this whole thread. I am convinced what you are seeing on your pool floor is dead algae. Based on your description, it is NOT dirt.

The reason you have dead algae on the floor is because you have live algae ion your water.

So, how do you get your pool clear? SLAM it.

To SLAM a pool correctly, there is a whole lot more than just adding some chlorine. I again suggest you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then you read how to SLAM the Pool.

Running the pump 24/7, vacuuming daily (in the "filter" position) and brushing as much as possible will be the key to your success.

Your test result of 10 CYA is essentially the same as zero since the test does not go that low, anyway. Zero CYA means there have probably been many times when your FC has been low enough for algae to get a foothold.

You are playing pattycake with the dead algae on your pool floor. It must be brushed up into the pool to let the skimmers take it in to your filter.

I could add a lot more but the fact will always remain you need to SLAM the pool......until you do that (and do it correctly) your problems will continue.

Duraleigh,

I do believe that what I'm seeing in the bottom of the pool is dead algae or some sort of dead organic matter. From what I can tell from your post, you are alluding to the fact that my chlorine level is "still" killing algae consistently, but is not killing all the live algae? Basically just adding to the dead mass of algae and not "truly" getting rid of all the live algae - a viscous cycle?

Also from this line specifically - "It must be brushed up into the pool to let the skimmers take it in to your filter." If I brush the stuff up the skimmer will eventually get rid of it? (honestly this is the part I am not sure of, does the skimmer take stuff out of the water as well as off the surface, and if so, can it get all of it if I just keep brushing day in and day out?)

I've performed the SLAM as I thought I should have and have no FC/TC loss. Is it possible my FC needs to be higher than 3 at this point? That is what I've been shooting for (I've even been using the pool calculator to get it there).

From what I can tell from your post, you are alluding to the fact that my chlorine level is "still" killing algae consistently, but is not killing all the live algae? Basically just adding to the dead mass of algae and not "truly" getting rid of all the live algae - a viscous cycle?
Sorry, I wasn't more clear but that is exactly correct.
If I brush the stuff up the skimmer will eventually get rid of it?
Well, yes. I goes from the skimmer to the filter and the filter captures it. You MUST get this debris up into suspension in the water.......nothing will get rid of it very well until you do.....it just lays on the bottom.

If you will SLAM the pool properly, this issue will end. So, the first question is how did you get a CYA result of 10 ppm???

Your CYA should be around 30 for a correct SLAM.....do you know how to get it there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.