Floating pool liner magically disappears

RTL

Aug 2, 2015
Spartanburg, SC
New pool owner here. I live in South Carolina. The rain here has been ridiculous not only for the past week but especially this weekend with the hurricane off of the coast. I went outside this morning to find my pool liner beginning to float in certain sections away from the wall of the pool. This was right around the time that my main pump was scheduled to turn on. I went back outside about an hour ago and the vinyl liner is now back to normal pretty much. There are a few areas where it has come out of the track at the top a bit but hopefully I can repair those after all of this rain. My question is...... does this mean that the previous owner must have had some sort of system installed that diverts the groundwater away from the pool when the main pump is on and the ground has become saturated? I'm assuming it has to have something to do with the main pump being on because the rain is ongoing and won't be stopping for the next couple of days. If this is the case, then I'll let it run 24/7 until a few days after the rain is gone.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Running the main pump in the pool would not have anything to do with the groundwater removal.

You would need a dry well with a submersible pump. I don't think it would be normal to have a pool pump used to remove ground water.

Running the main pump in the pool would not have anything to do with the groundwater removal.

You would need a dry well with a submersible pump. I don't think it would be normal to have a pool pump used to remove ground water.

Oh ok got you. Well any explanation or ideas as to why the vinyl liner seems to be back to "normal" when the rain hasn't let up at all? This is really confusing the heck out of me...

And yes my pool is pretty full....almost at the top of my skimmer.

Welcome!

The phenom could be as simple as whatever drainage system there is on the property having had a chance to catch up a bit even with the continued rain.

Re:
I don't think it would be normal to have a pool pump used to remove ground water.

While JB's correct that its not normal, I in fact have this very thing ;) But it is not automatic. You must close off the main drain and skimmer lines and open the sump line in order to pump out the sump that is below the deep end. In that case, on your equipment pad with no spa, you would have 3 obvious lines coming in with 2-way valves. If you psy a pic we could take a guess.

In other approaches to water table management, I have heard of underground auto pumps in the sump right under the deep end, but a drawback of those is that the motors can burn out and then they become impossible to service without ripping up the pool.

Other (better) configurations will run pipe from under the deep end to a nearby sump with auto pump. You could have that.

It would be worth seeing if you can locate the original pool builder and ask what measures, if any, they took for groundwater management. Its a good thing to know one wa or the other, though ultimately (unless you do have your pump plumbed to a sump) there's nothing to do bu wait for the water table to recede ;)

Fingers crosses for minimal liner shenanigans in the mean time ;)

Here's a pic I found of the "piped deep end sump to pumped sump" -- if your water table is always high, they might have done this:

image.jpg

One pump can NOT circulate the water in the pool and pump away ground water at the same time. You would need the extra valving setup that she described.

If you are talking about a submersible pump in a well point, then you should be able to see the opening to access the well point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.