Pump making noise and vibrating, might want to look for this

QingGuy

Silver Supporter
Mar 22, 2015
Las Vegas NV
One of my subs was over last week showing a perspective customer some work he'd done and he commented on a very soft noise my pump was making and the fact that it was vibrating. He said I should call Pentair and have them come out and look at it as it sounded like a shaft issue.

Called Pentair and the support person said I should power down my panel, remove my pump basket and reach in towards the impeller as it sounded as if something was wedged in there. I thought no way, how would something get in there. Well sure enough she was right. I pulled out what I can only describe as a golf ball size hair ball made-up of cr&p that lands in my pool. I have no idea how it made it through my basket and grew there in front of the impeller.

So, as part of my regular maintenance I'm going to start feeling back there for cr&p couple times a year.

Here's a question for the experts, do you think I've harmed my pump at all? My guess is it's been running for weeks like that.

Nope. Unless it contains rocks I'm sure your impeller is fine

Happen to me when I ran my suction side cleaner without a leaf canister inline. Not only did the mesquite needles completely plug up my suction line, but the impeller was jammed up with them.

If you look at a diagram of what an impeller looks like, you can easily see how and why smallish sized debris is bad for them.

Pro-tip : put skimmer socks on your skimmer basket and use a leaf trap on any vacuum/suction line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Unless it contains rocks I'm sure your impeller is fine

Happen to me when I ran my suction side cleaner without a leaf canister inline. Not only did the mesquite needles completely plug up my suction line, but the impeller was jammed up with them.

If you look at a diagram of what an impeller looks like, you can easily see how and why smallish sized debris is bad for them.

Pro-tip : put skimmer socks on your skimmer basket and use a leaf trap on any vacuum/suction line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No rocks, just plam silk type stuff, a couple of leaves etc. that formed a soft ball.

I have a canister on my vac, I'll have to look into skimmer socks. Thanks for the tip!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.