Help! Need advice closing pool replacing stuff next year?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all. I had a similar post but today is the day for me to do this all. Wife and I have our first pool and next season we are going to replace the vinyl liner and I may also replace the DE filter as well. Let the pool go about 3 weeks ago and its totally green with lot of debris in it and I live in the Northeast getting buried with rain right now. I am need to drain some out for sure and I am thinking of draining it below the skimmers. If I use the multi valve port waste cycle that will bypass the grids I assume. What would you do? Clean as much debris as I can from the pool just run the waste cycle for a while. Then what do they do at closing that I may have to have done anyway aka so the pipes dont freeze here in the northeast etc? I assume I just cant cover the thing up and wait right?

Well, if your pool is an in-ground, then you'll want to follow this page Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool. This will tell you what to do to protect your lines and equipment. Unfortunately though, a green pool now means a worse pool in the spring. Do you plan on attempting to clear the green before you close? If so, you'll need some time to complete a SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. If done properly, it may take a few days, or may take a week or two depending upon how bad your water is. I know you're racing the clock with the weather, but there's just no magic formula to clear the green. Just good old-fashioned bleach, patience, and consistency. Let us know if you have any other questions.

If he is getting a new liner anyway, the pool will have to be drained...so, I would say drain it down and let it go. Pump it out in the spring and replace the liner, start from new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.