Correct way to use collars on barbed slip-on couplers

Jul 2, 2015
Canada
Hello!

I am a new pool owner and currently doing some piping work to optimise my pool before my first winterizing.

One thing I am unsure about is the correct way to use collars with slip-on barbed couplers, for example, to join a piece of flexible PVC hose (backwash port) to a 50 ft long polyethylene pipe (waste water). I intend to use a slip-on barbed coupler, 1-1/2 M-M which appears to be poly.

But where exactly should I place the stainless steel collar before tightening both sides onto the coupler?

Right in the middle of the barbs? Or just before the barbs, on the "outside"? Should I use two collars? Add some silicone (or some other substance) before slipping on the pieces onto the coupler?

I have some leaks (very, very slow drips but it annoys me), maybe i'm not doing it right.

Thank you very much for your tips!

BlueSparkle

I also tap the whole SS gear clamp all the way around then use my nutdriver to re-tighten it. The gear and strap tend to bind, an inherant property of SS to SS, tapping it lightly all the way around ensures you get it as tight as it can get. Careful not to strip the strap though, but if you do, undo the claamp and using a hammer to pound the strap flat again, can get you out of a tight spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.