Maintaining pool temperature?

emil

Oct 21, 2014
Tujunga, CA
Hi guys,

I was speaking to my PB tonight and he asked the temperature of the water, it's currently at 79F. I live in Los Angeles County, the warmest the pool became was 88F. My PB mentioned that if I set the heater at 84F, it will maintain that temperature automatically and we can swim into the fall/winter months. He said the pool heater won't constantly be on, so it won't be a major source of energy usage. It will just turn on to maintain the temperature.

So what do the people of TFP think? Should I do that? I have Jandy equipment with the Aqualink PDA. On the PDA do I set the temperature of the pool heater at 84F and just leave it?

Will it really not use that much electricity?

Thanks,
Emil

Having a cover would help tremendously with heat retention ... which will make the heater have to run less.

What kind of heater do you have? Heating a pool is never cheap.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I can't put a cover, the pool is a freeform shape.
The heater is a Jandy Pro JXI Natural Gas Pool Heater JXI260N and the pump is a Jandy SHPF2.0 Stealth Energy Efficient High Head 2HP Full Rated Single Speed Pool Pump, 230V.

I can't put a cover, the pool is a freeform shape.
The heater is a Jandy Pro JXI Natural Gas Pool Heater JXI260N and the pump is a Jandy SHPF2.0 Stealth Energy Efficient High Head 2HP Full Rated Single Speed Pool Pump, 230V.

I have a freeform pool and I use a cover.

DIY Solar Cover Roller

Depending on how many gallons your pool is and what the weather is each day will dictate how much the pump and heater will run. The heater uses natural gas, so your gas bill will go up along with your electric. I suppose if you are swimming every day for a few hours then heating it may be worth it. I see the pool as a useless money pit over the winter (actually most of the year). Way too expensive to heat it regularly. My spa heats up in about 15 minutes so that is worth using. I don't have enough money to keep my pool heated all the time. You might try it for a month and see how it goes. I don't think there is anyone here who can predict what it will cost.....besides the one comment that heating a pool is never cheap.

Go with solar, way cheaper than a heat pump, lasts longer if you go with a heliocol system. And your heat pump doesn't have to work so hard in the winter months if the solar isn't reaching the desired temp
I think is is oversimplified a bit. Solar will cost way more than trying a simple cover. They already have the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.