Yikes! There is a ton of water on my AGP cover.

Jun 24, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Did I install it incorrectly last year? I get out there to look at it (things finally melted here in Buffalo) and there is a TON of water on the cover. It has to be 2 feet deep at spots. It was my first pool closing (new homeowner) so I hope I did it right and didn't damage the wall structure or anything. I'm thinking about starting the pumping process now. :x It might take a while.... lol

If you're not in a big hurry to get the water off you can always just start a siphon and let gravity remove the water.

I usually recommend an air pillow under the cover on AG pools when winterizing to help force the water to the edges for easier removal (just a little something to think about next fall)

Beware that it's possible the cover has a hole in it, if there's a hole in the cover, you will end up pumping out pool water along with the cover water.

If you are on a well or have fill water issues, you might want to pump the water from the top of the cover back into the pool (as long as the cover water is relatively clean!) - a couple extra gallons of bleach is cheaper than having to truck in water or having to do major chemistry adjustments.

Good luck with the opening :-D

Nah waters not that big of an issue here. What sucks about the "hole" theory is....it was a brand new cover! I replaced the cover that came with the pool due to EXACTLY that problem. Last October, I was pumping what I thought was rain water when it was actually pool water so I frantically put a new one on one week before snow. Could it just be all the rain/snow in there now? Cant be...

I get a lot of water on my cover every winter too. Sometimes, the hubby pumps it off up to 3 times a winter if it thaws. I'm convinced it's pretty normal. :wink:

I have pumped water off my cover several times this winter/spring due to rain and snow melt, and because my pillow deflated sometime in mid-January. I bought an expensive portable transfer pump at Lowe's (~$75) that has worked just fine. I just haul it out of the basement, toss the intake hose into the water, aim the output hose off the deck, and plug it in. Just have to keep an eye on it and the water level so it doesn't suck air and burn up the bearings. Now I'm letting the spring rains accumulate on the cover so I can pump that rainwater it into my pool for opening sometime soon. The fill water here contributes a little too much alkalinity.

Kelly

Our first pool cover removal was a major disaster... we tried every outdated method there was to remove the water (I could not find any pumps due to an onslaught of recently flooded basements in the area due to storms). What started out as a relatively clean pool became a black filthy mess after we decided the only way out was to cut the cover ourselves after we could not get it off with all the water. Of course, everything on top went right into the pool.

For the past two seasons, I have not covered the pool... I do not recommend this either. I have a big mess on my hands right now... Last year I drained the pool, this year I will not. Finding this forum last year (after draining the pool) was a blessing and I am very confident that I will be able to deal with my mess handily.

Good luck with your cover!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.