Closing the pool for a Canadian winter

Thanks to this forum we had a lovely summer of swimming this year, but the temperature is starting to plummet so I'm hoping to get the pool closed up this weekend. I have my chemicals and a print out of the closing procedures from here, but does anyone have any extra advice or know of anything special I'll have to remember considering how cold it's going to get up here in a few weeks? (it was 4 degrees C last night)

Hire someone to do it for first time - it is worth it, given investment you made

I'd really rather not...we hired guys last year and almost $600 later they left the gauges on the filter and they all froze and left the allen key for the cover outside on the pool deck to be snowed on and rusted...found it in the spring when we opened it.. :(
I've honestly had much better luck with the advice here than any of the 'professionals' in my area.

We're happy found the info n this find helpful. Aside from the closing procedures you already have, and temps below 60 degrees (which won't be a problem there), you'll do fine. Take your time with equipment disconnects and clearing-out the lines, and the pool will be ready for you next spring. Have a cozy, safe winter, and we'll see you next swimming season.

Thanks to this forum we had a lovely summer of swimming this year, but the temperature is starting to plummet so I'm hoping to get the pool closed up this weekend. I have my chemicals and a print out of the closing procedures from here, but does anyone have any extra advice or know of anything special I'll have to remember considering how cold it's going to get up here in a few weeks? (it was 4 degrees C last night)

I am sitting in Vaughn, ON as we speak. The temperatures here are a lot different than other parts of the United States. Time is of the essence because of the weather. It is getting cold real quick and I am assuming freezing temperatures are right around the corner.

Closing the pool from a chemical perspective is not that hard. Removing fittings after you are all done is not difficult at all. Although, sometimes people get stuck once they start removing the water out of the lines and plugging everything, especially the main drain. For what you were charged, I do not blame you for wanting to close your own pool. Near us, there are people for less than $200, including chemicals.

Please take your time and follow the instructions. If you lower your water below the skimmer and return jets, you will have an easier time removing the water and plugging the lines. You can isolate skimmers and return jets and clear water one area at a time if necessary. If the blower is not powerful enough, you may have a tough time with the main drain.

What type of air compressor/blower will you be using and exactly where are you hooking it up to?

We're planning to use the blower off the shopvac. Last year we had a clog a when we hooked it uo to the skimmer line at the filter it freed the clog and shot a geyser of water 2 ft in the air out of the skimmer, so we're hopeful it's strong enough. If not, my husband assures me the air compressor is. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.