Can't unscrew bolts on rail

Jun 1, 2015
Frederick, MD
Hi all. Here I am, trying to close my pool without a company for the first time. And, I've encountered my first show stopper. I'm trying to remove the bolts on the hand rails, and 3 out of 4 bolts unscrewed fine. But this last bolt is a nightmare. I tried a socket and adjustable wrench, and nothing. I've wiggled and pulled and yelled, and nothing. Before giving up to bandage my bloodied knuckles, I did spray some wd40 in hopes that soaking in the spray will help.

Are there are tricks out there to help?

Cross-threaded is when a bolt is screwed in without the threads being lined up properly. With a power driver, you can force the bolt to screw in but then the threads are crossed each other instead of interleaved. Makes removing the bolt almost impossible.

On railing bolts, usually crud gets in there and makes it hard to remove them. What I've read is folks will use a garden hose or even a pressure washer to make sure the area is cleaned out, then wd-40 or pb-blaster overnight.

Hi all. So, I spray it with WD40, waited overnight and still couldn't get the bolt to move. I then bought an attachment for my power drill to connect the socket. This worked and without the drill, I would not have been able to get it fixed. There was still a fair amount of pulling and wiggling that I needed to accomplish to get this all done. I think that it wasn't seated properly to begin with and after an entire pool season of use, the bolt was all messed up. I guess my next step is cleaning the railing seats up before the winter comes.

The bolts usually screw into a wedge that is pulled up against the railing to hold it in place. You need to be sure that everything is clean and free of any sand or grit when they are installed. Never over tighten. When removing I would blast it with my pressure washer then wait a couple days to let it dry out. Then soak with some PB Blaster or WD40. Let it set over night, then try to loosen a turn or two and tap on the top of the bolt. It only needs to move down just a bit to free the wedge and release the railing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.