Possible filter troubles...

Dec 21, 2014
Santa Clara, CA
Not sure if this is normal: when I vacuum the pool, I see the junk that I'm vacuuming up getting sent out in the return lines. Is this an indication that I need new cartridge filters? Or perhaps something else is going on? If I need to consult a pool professional, what do I ask for? (I really don't want/need a service contract, all I'd be looking for is a one-time filter evaluation...). Any suggestions?

Sounds like a leak in the filter cartridge or else where in the filter. I have an auto pool cleaner but my pool was getting cloudy when my FC and other testing numbers were normal. It happened to me this year and had to replace them.

Sounds like a leak in the filter cartridge or else where in the filter. I have an auto pool cleaner but my pool was getting cloudy when my FC and other testing numbers were normal. It happened to me this year and had to replace them.

Thanks much for the reply.

So would a good course of action be to replace out the cartridges? Is there a way of determining ahead of time if that's the issue? Just trying to figure what else it could be, to determine if the whole filter might need to be upgraded...

(No auto cleaner involved; the pool is small, and I don't mind pushing around the manual vacuum. For me, it's kinda zen...)

Pictures of your equipment please. If you have a multiport valve the gasket could have gone bad and is bypassing your filter. Also make sure your hair and lint basket is in good shape, most of the bigger debris should be getting trapped in it.

When did you last clean the cartridges?

Filters cartridges were cleaned out three weeks ago. I thought that I should be doing this once every three or four months; if it's got to be once a month, that's painful. (I clean out the pre-filter basket every couple of weeks). Are my servicing expectations off?

Filter is Hayward SwimClear C3025; pump is Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed. I'll try to post pics...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.