Closing Pool Oct 15th - Green and going to replace liner next season advice?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello all,

About 3 weeks ago I let the pool go based on my electric bills going through the roof and also the wife and I are going to replace the vinyl liner next season. What do you think I should do based on the pool is of course a green swamp now with a lot of debris in it. Should I just cover it up and have it closed for the pipes not freezing etc. or what approach would you take. Should I clean it up this weekend and what is best to throw a bunch of chemical in it etc? I am thinking if I do that I need to try to get all the debris out first prior to turning the filters back on or I will have clogged pipes. Just wanting advice to leave it as is, drain it, clean it now and put it to bed etc? We are going to replace the liner as it is old and needs to be replaced.

Thanks all

If you have no water table issues, you could consider draining the entire pool so it's ready for liner installation in the spring. A safer bet would be to drain a significant amount to below the returns, blow out the lines including the floor drains and cover it up. Then drain the rest in the spring before liner installation. Less chance of a water table issue popping your pool walls.

I would still try to get most of the debris out of the pool physically regardless of the method you choose. Ordinarily, I would suggest getting the water cleaned and balanced before closing, but since you're draining in the spring for a liner installation, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend money on tons of bleach and the time to get it clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.