Vacation

WalterE

Bronze Supporter
Aug 29, 2015
Little Rock, AR
Need some advice. Going on a 7 day vacation. No one available to take care of the pool. I live in the country.
Relatively new convert to TFP-BBB. I have locked up the chlorine tabs and shock and have added nothing but liquid bleach for over a month.
Pool looks great. Two 1/2 pool drains (vinyl liner) to reduce CYA from (extremely high to 80) plan another later.. I am now maintaining FC of 7-9 with about 100 oz of bleach per day. Water temp 72. Here are the numbers:
FC 7-9
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
TH 50
CYA 80
For the plan. I'm thinking of raising the FC to around 20 just before I leave. Unlock the Pool Tabs and floater for the week (knowing my CYA will increase somewhat) and hope for the best. I did have a couple of Algae blooms early in the summer prior to switching to BBB.

What do you think?

I think you have the right idea, but since your CYA is 80, I suggest taking it to the SLAM level of 31. If the sun is out, it might last a day or two before it's back to normal. If you are using Tri-Chlor tabs, they should also keep your pH level as well. Not much you can do when you're out of the area with no one to babysit the pool but use a tab or two. 7 days won't ruin you. Enjoy your trip.

Update: Seven day vacation is over. Thanks for all your help. Came back to a clear pool. Here is what I did:
1. Waited too late to Slam.. only had 4 gallons of bleach which I dumped in the pool. Should have taken the FC to around 17-18.
2. Unlocked the Chlorine Tablets and put two floaters of 3 tabs each in the pool.
3. Upon return, removed the floaters and checked the chemistry.
4. The FC was at 10.5.. very good for my CYA of 80.
5. All other chemistry was unchanged. Even the CYA had not increased that I could measure.
6. Very happy with results... Still plan another half drain to get the CYA down to 40 when I get some time.
7. Locked the tablets, floaters and shock back up again. Using only bleach and an occasional baking soda.

Thanks again for all your help. Still learning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.