Vegas pool in planning stages.

Sep 29, 2015
Las vegas nv
We have a small yard, 20'x60', so we are planning an even smaller pool, 10'x27'. Wanted to start this thread early to get some experienced inputs. We are going to have a 6' long tanning ledge so swim space will be even smaller. Here is a drawing by one builder but I'm thinking we will be going with a kool deck instead of pavers. This shows 3' long ledge but will be increased and not sure if we will have stairs all the way a row or just at the end.
a2455e31589fba8f2b079ff511a6a541.jpg

e9dc30727f5ab277092bf489433cc2d9.jpg

e18a736a2723c25430fe633fc323b1e9.jpg

We are also changing a little to put two little columns on the back edge with sheer descents similar to this one I found online
f7f2ada95c1b214b08d9a845ae33618f.jpg

The deck surface has been hard to decide. I have an existing resist stamped concrete patio that will be right up against the new pool deck. I have a little one so I'm afraid the pacers will be too hot for him. Thought about travertine but worried about slips. So that brought us back to the spray deck. I think it will still look good once all my landscaping is settled and things start growing.

Hoping to make it official. I'm pretty sure we have our builder lined up but waiting on one more bid. He seems to be dragging his feet on getting it together so we might just pass on him based on that.

Looks like you're well on your way! I really like the look of your design and especially with the addition of the pillars and waterfalls similar to the picture. I would agree that if your pavers have any dark color at all, they'll be hot! I have a concrete deck all the way around my pool that gets warm on hot, sunny days here. On one end of the pool, I have granite pavers on the outside border of the concrete. Those are SCALDING hot on sunny days. I imagine it's a heck of a lot worse in Vegas. Keep that decking a light color for sure.

Once you do decide on a builder, then you need to decide on your type of filter and sanitation. I would highly suggest getting a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG) to automate your chlorine sanitation. This site discourages trichlor tablet sanitation for long term use so your options if you choose to follow our methods is either SWCG or manual liquid chlorine sanitation (or use a stenner pump).

Spend some time in Pool School with the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and look over the equipment articles to get a feel for the different components of your upcoming pool. Posting the specifics of your build once you have settled on a builder is a GREAT idea as you'll get lots of suggestions on what pumps, filters, sanitation, plumbing, heaters... etc are best for your situation.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Just signed contract. Going to be 10X28, 6' tanning ledge about 6-7"deep with two bubblers, bench all the way along the opposite edge, two 18" sheer descent from the 18"Dx36"Wx18'H columns. Hayward 2hp VS Costar pump, Hayward 325q ft filter, Hayward valves, Quartz plaster. Just need to figure out the HOA paperwork, it doesn't seem our HOA is very strict so I might just start before approval. Going to start clearing out my artificial turf this weekend and will update with pictures

Hi Bigcarbs,
I look forward to seeing your build. We are looking at a vey similar size and shape pool (approx 9x30)
We are still wading through bids trying to find the right combination of options vs price.
I'm very surprised that the buds I'm getting range from $48k-$58k, which seems a bit high for that size of pool.
Good luck on your build and keep us posted

Hi Bigcarbs,
I look forward to seeing your build. We are looking at a vey similar size and shape pool (approx 9x30)
We are still wading through bids trying to find the right combination of options vs price.
I'm very surprised that the buds I'm getting range from $48k-$58k, which seems a bit high for that size of pool.
Good luck on your build and keep us posted

Are you doing pool only or is that with a spa? What is your location?

I wouldn't mind a spa, wife doesn't want one. We have a big two person jetted tub with inline heater on jets in the bathroom so we figure well just use that and save some money. Plus it gets so hot here that a spa would go mostly unused. Our build should be right around 30k,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plans submitted to HOA, should get permits next week. Turf is torn out, removing decorative rock from the other side yard so the tractor can take it away and I can finish landscape over there.
891dafd195a952f215f0cdf2d51b04b4.jpg

Minor changes will be made to plan, columns moved together more, thinking to extend the second step bench a bit more, and cut outs for planters aren't shown.
fc0f27d72dcd4a0681b897d9d3218c3f.jpg

And so it begins!

Make sure EVERYONE has the changes.........We have seen where someone ends up with the old plans so.......

The best thing you can do is be there when a new trade comes the first time. Go over the plans they have and make sure they understand what is what on your build.

No you should not HAVE to do that BUT quite a few PB are not on site so..........Better safe than sorry.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.