Does TA change on it's own?

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
So I have read everything I can find on here regarding TA and Ph and can't seem to find the answer to this question.

I am getting my pool ready for borates and over a period of several days have lowered my TA with Muriatic Acid from 100 to 80 while aerating the pool to bring the PH back up. I have two large pool streamers creating tons of bubbles, but it is taking forever. My PH is still at 7.2 and not budging much.

Anyway, my question is this: Does TA ever change on it's own (besides adding an acid or a base)? I believe I read it can change with spill out (lower) over time, is that correct? Does anything else affect it? i.e, now that it's at 80 do I need to keep testing it?

Can I add Borates with 7.2 Ph or do I need to wait a bit longer?

TA increases from evaporation and refill so it will drift upwards. Pool water is over-saturated with CO2 so, if you added nothing to the water and if you could somehow keep it from evaporating, the CO2 would eventually outgas from the water as the concentration of dissolved CO2 equilibrated with the atmosphere. But that process is far too slow to happen on its own in any measureable way.

How are you adding borates, boric acid or borax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can check it with pool math but the boric acid will temporarily lower your pH by about 0.2 to 0.3 pH units. If you want to, you can use borax to raise the pH a bit and then add boric acid. You get borates both ways then. Pool Math can tell you how much borax to add.

Borax and boric acid add to measureable TA slightly. For 50ppm borates you'll increase your TA by about 5ppm. Not a big deal at all.

Should be ok if you hit 7.5. Boric acid dissolves really fast, so just broadcast what you need to add (I broke it up into two additions) and give it a good brush.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.