New build- Gunite shell depth too shallow

Hello all,

We have been reading this site for months watching builds and soaking in the advice and opinions before finally starting our own build. I do have a question and would appreciate any opinions or advice offered.

The pool depth is to be 3.5' in the shallow end and 5.5' in the deep end. In the shallow end, it is only 41 inches from floor to top of the bond beam.

Assuming the plaster (quartzscapes) will raise the floor level also, the 41" bond beam height would not appear to allow for a 42" water level. I believe the bond beam should have been 45" high, correct?

When I brought this to PB's attention, he said he would "raise the tiles"to get "the water level I want".
It isn't just the level I want, it is the water level in the contract.
Wouldn't this be measured by the PB instead of me being the one to notice?

The coping will be cantilever concrete.

Does "raising the tiles" sound like a reasonable solution?
I can't picture how that would work.
If not reasonable, how would you approach it?

I do like my PB, and he has a great reputation and was referrrd to me by a friend.

Any advice or opinion would be much appreciated.

Thank you much!

The water level should be in the middle of the skimmer box.................That allows for the best skimming of the pool...........too low and your pump will suck air in...........too high and the stuff on top of the water will not go into the skimmer basket.

Raising the tile will have NOTHING to do with the water level. It is all about the skimmer box.

I hope this helps. Let us know how he answers this.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and do NOT allow anymore work on the pool until this is fixed or you have the answers you want.............

Kim is on point here, don't let them proceed until this is sorted.

Sounds like the pool was dug for a 3' shallow end. Can you get a measurement to the center of the skimmer box?

To me, your PB's response is BS. Raising the waterline in the shallow end will also raise it in the deep end. Either way, it's all about the skimmer box as Kim mentioned.

Dom

Edit: Where are my manners, welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure about your contract, but ours was non-specific about how the depth is calculated. The deep spot in our sport pool under construction is only 5'4" at mid-point to the skimmer, 5'7" to the top of the bond beam. We asked for 5'6". We thought after the excavation and steel that we'd hit 5'6" mid-skimmer with gunite, but the gunite crew went a little heavy. We shrugged it off -- its only 2 inches.

Hello all,

Thank you for the responses.

I did talk with the PB today, and he explained what he planned to do.
He said they have done this many times before and that it wouldn't be an issue.

They are going to raise the tile a few inches (so the top of the tile will not be flush with the top of the bond beam).
There will be cement behind the tiles, and he said that the deck itself will be the same thickness...but will be raised a couple of inches higher.

He said the deck being raised wouldn't be an issue since our deck is going up to the house and not connecting to an existing lanai.
The skimmer is not installed yet, as he said it is installed by the tile guy/s.
he said it would be adjusted similar to how bond beams are if they are not level all the way around.

I have included a couple of pics to see the setup.

Does any of this sound reasonable?

Thanks again, any thoughts appreciated.

Whole pool 1.jpgSkimmer hole 1.jpg

That is interesting, don't see why it wouldn't work, but it will be challenging. Be sure that the addl concrete is anchored into the existing bond beam so you don't get horizontal cracks. And double-check your warranties. Pls let us know how it goes!!! :)

"the deck itself will be the same thickness...but will be raised a couple of inches higher."

So how is he going to raise the deck? Is he going to raise the whole deck from the pool to the house? what is the deck going to be made of?

My worry is that that whatever they use to raise it can settle and cause problems in the future. I also worry that if they only raise it by the pool that could cause water to flow towards the house.

Just throwing things out there so you can ask and get solid answers.

IF they do it right it could work. Too bad they did not dig, rebar and shoot gunite correct from the start :(

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.