Pump not completely priming, replacement impeller, diffuser, seals didnt fix

May 17, 2011
Sta rite pump; seems to be working fine. When I broke down the pump to check the inside, there was wear to the seals, impeller showed some hair line cracking, so I decided to replace the inner parts and seals. I had already checked for leaking on the intake side and found nothing. After part replacement, no change. I will get water flow through the pump but at no significant pressure or volume. When I turn the pump off, the pump basket housing is pretty much full of water. Water level drops down to about 1/2 as soon as I start the pump. As the pump runs, air is collecting at the top of the filter housing as evidence by multiple openings of the bleed valve over the course of about 10 minutes. Seems like there has to be a leeak on the suction side...is it time to start digging to check the pipe underground? Or am I missing something obvious? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dont dig until you have checked the obvious things. Replace the pump lid o'ring and the barrel union o'ring. You might even find it is something like a hairline crack in the pump lid itself.
Have you noticed a increased loss in water?

I know it seems a little insulting but i have been doing this for years so please check your water level is high enough over the skimmer box. You would be amazed at how many people miss this seemingly basic thing.

All good questions. New o ring on the pump housing lid. Even tried a spare lid and o ring...no change. No vortex or stuck weir in/on the skimmer. No water loss, which would indicate no leak on the suction side below the water line. Added water to an above normal level before any of the other actions taken. So, new impeller, new seals and o rings, no signs of air leakage at the unions or fittings (via a "hose test" to see if water over the joints made a difference). I have not replaced the o ring on the union as I do not have one handy and live an hour away from a pool store. But I did run water over the joint. Could an obstruction in the suction line cause these symptoms? I would think that that there would be low flow, but no presence of air leaking in and getting to the filter housing...

Thanks so much for your responses. This thing is just making me a bit crazy!

Could an obstruction in the suction line cause these symptoms?

Absolutely it could.

Do you have a main drain? is the valve to it open?

Try closing that and using the skimmer only. test

If it persists...close the skimmer and open the main drain only.

see what happens.

if it goes away with one of them, yes you have an obstruction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.