pool motor acting up

Spiccolli

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
Hello, so I have this Emerson ESQ1102 Square Flange Pool and Spa Motor 1 HP. its quite a few years old. I replaced the bearings on it about 4 years ago. It has been working fine since. nice and quiet.
This morning, the water in the pool was barely moving, but the pump/motor was on and sounded fine. The pump had prime, just no pressure.
I shut off the pump at the panel and the motor wound down very slowly. It normally shuts off instantly as I'm sure you know.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? Thanks for any help!!!

pressure is 0 - normally about 16.

when something was stuck in the past, the pump is much louder, and sucking a bit of air.
not louder today, and not sucking any air.

what worries me is the motor winding down when the pump is shut off - that's not right.

i believe the motor is busted - just don't know what is broke, if i can fix it with parts, or what

@pabeader @borjis I can't see the impeller from the basket area, nor can i reach it with fingers to feel it.

Even if it did become separated - would that explain the long wind-down of the motor?

I guess I'll just have to take the whole thing apart and see if something is obviously broken. If I can't figure it out, I'll probly take the motor to a rebuild shop and see what they say.

So you guys were right again, for the most part. The impeller didn't exactly fall off, the motor shaft is completely broken. Every seal is trashed, and there is a hunk of shaft left in the impeller.

Thanks for the suggestions! Guess I'm gonna price out a new motor, impeller, and a full seal kit.

Think there was any way this could have been prevented??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very odd. I have never seen that happen. Motor shafts are usually high quality stainless steel.

I would suspect that there were multiple problems like a leaky seal and a very corrosive environment, perhaps from trichlor or acid exposure.

WOW dude!!

If I had to guess I'd say the motor is VERY old and was salt chlorinated and that a seal broke and
was run with a leak for years and years.

Can't figure how else it would get that rusted.

one for the books!

So went to price out a motor and seal kit and impeller. over 400. i know i could save at least a third if i price it out and have it shipped, but instead, i went for a Pentair 011018 - Intelliflo VS Pump with Timer. all told, after install was $1200.

15% off, 15% off installation, $50 rebate (dunno what for), $100 electric co rebate. What got me is the amount i will save in electric and the fact that it has a 5 year warranty. I think it will pay for more than itself within that 5 years.

think i did OK?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.