Going from green to blue and a thanks...

MSL

Sep 30, 2015
Austin, TX
First time poster here...

I had some problems with my old DE filter, so ended up taking it offline for about 2 weeks. We have a lot of trees near the pool and it didn't take long for algae to start growing. The green picture below is actually a few days before it got really bad. By the time I got the new filter installed, you couldn't even see the first step. I'm about 36 hours in to the SLAM process now and things are going well. I'm guessing another day or 2 until I'm back to clear water.

I know the 100 sq ft quad filter is probably overkill for my pool, but with all the junk that falls in the water (year round) here in Austin, I thought it was worth the added cost. Pressure hasn't gone up much (if any) since I started the process.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information made available via this site. It has certainly made things easier and saved me a lot of time/money/frustration.

-Matt

1.jpg

2.jpg

Just a quick update... My pool cleared up very nicely. I took out the light and found some algae on the back side of the light, so I left it out as I continued to keep it at SLAM levels. After about a week I passed all 3 test criteria. With that said, I've still caught a little coating of what appears to be algae popping up on the wall near the single step on the deep end. It brushes off easily, but I don't know what it would be if not algae. Still keeping my FC level up for the time being.

-Matt

3.jpg

When we talk about the three criteria, on being clear pool. That is not limited to clear water, but that there is no visible algae in the water, dead or alive. Some algae can develop a bio-film over it that protects it from direct contact with the chlorine in the water. This is the reasoning behind the need to brush the pool once a day while the SLAM is going on. It helps break up bio-film and allows the chlorine to do battle with any protected algae.

Matt, pool looks great. A couple things to check on that deep end step:
1 - Do you get good water circulation there?
2 - Does that substance look like your other/previous green algae, or does it have a different color/tint to it? It looks like that step on the deep end is more in the shade. If so, perhaps it's Mustard Algae. Take a look at the Pool School - Mustard Algae page and see if it matches. If so, bump your FC up to MA level for 24 hours. That may help.
Other than that, not sure if perhaps that substance could be something that is settling from the trees? Once you pass the 3 SLAM criteria, and especially if you do the MA elevation for 24 hrs, there should be no more appearance of algae. Keep us posted. Great job Matt.

That's actually the best circulation in the whole pool as the main jet comes back just over that step. The substance is actually showing up on the rounded part of the wall on both sides of the step. I can't really say if it looks like the green algae because I brush it away as soon as I see a few dots start to show up...

I will bump up the FC to MA level for 24 hours to rule that out.

Thanks,
Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.