SWG testing

kkpjm

May 23, 2011
Quakertown PA
Is there any way to test a Zodiac LM3 cell? Mine is at the end of it's 8th season and we've never had any problems. This summer it seems like it just wouldn't keep up. There's plenty of cloudy output at the front end, so it looks like there is definitely chlorine gas being generated. There is no buildup on the cell plates or anywhere else. I don't want to spend $400 if I don't have to...and convincing SWMBO that it's needed will be a tough conversation. Leslie's in town will check some cells, but not a Zodiac. (Not sure I would trust them with the test anyway, given that the tech said I had TDS levels too high, even after I told him it was a salt pool...he said that salt wasn't a dissolved solid. I had brought a sample in to check CYA since my test stuff was depleted)

On the other hand, could it be that there's just enough algae in there that the SWG is just barely staying ahead of it? FC seems to be hovering between 1 and 2 even with the SWG set high. Occasional cloudiness is quickly stopped by a gallon or two of bleach.

Thanks in advance for the help or advice. Pool is being closed next week so the algae problem will go away until next spring...maybe I get away with doing nothing!

One thing you can do is take a sample away from any return and then take another sample directly out of a return. Compare the FC in both samples. The sample out of the return should be noticeable higher than the other one. Of course you have to ensure your SWG is set to 100% or ensure that is supposed to be producing at the time of the test.

Jim R.

It sure sounds like you have a small algae problem which is preventing the FC from rising. The best method to check this is to do an OCLT. Raise the FC to around 10 with bleach and run the test.

To help further we need test results.

he said that salt wasn't a dissolved solid. I had brought a sample in to check CYA since my test stuff was depleted

Man... If that guy says salt is not a dissolved solid I wonder how much money he has cost all the customers he deals with. He is either a total buffoon or a ruthless scammer.

It sure sounds like you have a small algae problem which is preventing the FC from rising. The best method to check this is to do an OCLT. Raise the FC to around 10 with bleach and run the test.

To help further we need test results.
+1, sounds like the start of an algae bloom, especially if manual chlorine additions clear up the pool.

An OCLT is in order

be sure to turn off the SWG for the OCLT.

Dom

Kinda what I was hoping everyone would say...and what I thought as well. I will do an OCLT, for sure. But back to the SWG...depending on who you ask, I've gotten answers on cell life anywhere from 5 years to 10 years. Should I put a new cell in the budget for next year? It sure looks fine to me...never any buildup and there is always a cloud of Cl gas at the front of the unit...

As usual, thanks for the quick and honest answers.

List your location. Someone with a short swim season will get more years than someone with their pool open year round. The pool's chemistry will also determine how long the cell will last.

Your cell might be on its last legs but no one can tell you for sure.

An OCLT will determine if you are battling algae or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.