Newbie closing question

fyn409

Jul 9, 2013
Ok, this is my first year closing an in ground pool. I think I understand the chemical requirements, my questions are around the plumbing. First, the pools is a 18x36 vinyl liner in ground with steps. I have one skimmer, and a wall suction line, no main drain, and 2 returns. From what I have been reading I need to drain the pool below the returns. That part make sense, but what do I do with the wall suction port? If I drain to that I will not have much water in my shallow end and I am concerned that will cause issues with the liner.

Also, do I need to "blow out" the sand filter after opening the drain plug, or is the drain plug sufficient? Also I suspect I should remove both the pump and SWG cell and store indoors for the winter? Also I am located in Michigan, so we get plenty of cold and snow here in the winter.

Thanks,
Ryan

I would definitely recommend draining a few inches below the skimmer. You can drain below the returns (but not necessary). The suction line will need to be plugged or you will drain a lot of water. Put the multi-port on recirculate and blow through the lines. If you want, isolate the lines and blow out the skimmer first (plug with Gizmo that has Teflon Tape on threads). Then move on to the returns and suction. One return jet will blow first (wait about 30 seconds to clear the air) and plug. Then move on to the next and on to the last. Please make sure someone is at the equipment pad to shut off the blower/compressor not to build too much back pressure. Considering you do not have a main drain, a regular compressor should work. Do not over-pressurize the compressor (20 psi max) is recommended.

Once you are done remove all the drain plugs (from pump housing, filter, multi-port (which includes pressure gauge and sight glass), and allow the water to drain out of the filter. Move multi-port between winterize and another setting so it does not lock and stays open allowing all water to drain. Use the black rubber plugs and make sure there are no air leaks and they are tight, but do not over tighten them.

Hope this helps! Take some pictures of the equipment pad and send over. We all like pictures.

Ok thanks for the info so far. Sorry it has taken a bit to get back to you. New house so learning many new things. So the original owner stopped over and gave me a quick overview of what he did to winterize. He did not use any air to blow out lines, he drained to below the returns plugged them and added R/V anti-freeze to them as well as the skimmer and then put a gizmo in the the skimmer as well. I think I will still blow out the lines, I like that idea better.

Now as for the wall suction port. What you are saying makes sense. Blow air, once just bubbles are coming out plug with rubber plug. The problem I see is that there is a grate over the opening, and I do not see a way to remove the grate without removing the screws and pulling it off. Then from what I can tell this will expose the gasket and liner, something I do not think I want to do while it is covered in water. So I am looking for suggestions here. I asked the previous owner what he did and he said he left that line alone and never had a problem with freezing, etc. Now he owned the pool since new (10 yrs ish) and we have had some cold winters here in Michigan and so far no problem. What do you guys think? Should it still be blown out and plugged? If so how would you suggest doing so?

I have attached a picture of the wall suction port, tried a pic of the equipment pad but it appears I have hit my image quota?

Thanks,
Ryan
View attachment 43328

Ryan:

The suction port is for what? If it is a suction, then water is being pulled from the pool and heading towards the pump-filter by piping. In between the suction port (in the pool), and pump-filter, is there a valve that you can close water from being pulled? if so, then you need to blow air through the system until you see bubbles (30 seconds should be fine) and then close the valve, creating an "air lock", just like a main drain.

If would be helpful if you can post pictures of your equipment pad, valves, etc. from many different angles, just I as I have shown below:

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Of course, the valves are after pool was closed in first and third picture. The pump housing also has black rubber plugs (inside) on the suction and return side.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

Hi Ryan,
You can upload your pictures to Photobucket, and then just paste the IMG tag here in your post on TFP, that way you don't have to worry about running out of space for posting them. You can post the IMG link address for an entire album if you want to. I hope this helps, and have a wonderful night. :)

Thanks Crackerjack:

Did not think of the Photo Bucket. I am so used to snapping pictures with the I-Phone, E-mailing them, downloading, saving and finding them when needed, it is just second nature. Do Platinum members ever run out of space. I remember we have some extra space, but how much? Is there a way for us to track how much space we have used? Just curious on this one.

I believe it is (10MB) of attachment space and not forum posts. Maybe I should only post pictures for myself ?? LOL

Last edited:
Cat, go to Settings at the right hand top side of your screen, on the next page go to the bottom left where it says Attachments and click on that, it will show you a bar that tells how much pic space you've used, and how much you have left.

Fyn and Cat in case you all aren't aware, you can also go to this area if there are photos you want to remove at any time, and click beside the photo you don't want, and then go to the bottom, and click delete selected. I hope this helps.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense now. For some reason I was thinking I would need to plug the suction port some how. Thanks for the clarification. Going to be attempting this tomorrow as last night we got down to 25 deg. Also where do you guys typically tap into the plumbing to supply the compressed air?

Let's give this photo bucket thing a try. Unfortunately I only have one shot of my equipment pad, but here goes:

Again, needs a lot of work, will be doing that come spring :)

Thanks,
Ryan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.