Suntanning shelf size and orientation on a small rectangular pool?

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
Due to yard size and easements, we only have the ability to build a long, narrow pool ( roughly 9'x30')
One of the features we are considering is a suntanning shelf at one end of the pool. We did get one design that had a 9x8 shelf on one end, but that seems to take up a lot of the pool length, for non-swimming activities.
I was considering making the shelf narrower, maybe 9x4, to give us more swimming room. One of the concerns I have with that size, is that it limits the number of sunbathers to one, and it makes them have to lay perpendicular to the path of the sun across the sky.
What do you think, is it worth it to have a suntanning shelf in a pool this small? If so, would you go with 8x9 or 4x9, or even something else?
Thanks,
Mike

My pool is 14x32, and it has stairs across the entire shallow end. Folks hang out on the stairs which are very comfortable (or they're actually in deeper water) so I'm fine without a sun shelf. People can always float on rafts if they feel they need to bake more, right?

I'd hate to give up all that length which would limit my lap swimming too much. I'd be one sad Yippee :*(

Just something to think about, huh?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.