Which sand for Triton II?

tetlee

May 11, 2015
Tempe/Az
I'm changing the sand in my Triton II and I'm struggling to find sand which meets the requirements from the owners manual:

* Sand to be No. 20 standard silica (uniformity coefficient not greater than 1.75) .018-.020 in diameter particle size.

Home Depot/Lowes sells 'Quikrete' which appears outside of that range "US Sieve Size 20-40, Particle size (0.85-0.425 mm)"
Leslie's only seems to sell Zeolite

Any suggestions what to do? Do I really need to worry about this?

Thanks

I read a review somewhere that the quikrete pool sand was not graded correctly for pool sand. That could have been an isolated local problem as that stuff is probably manufactured and bagged regionally.

DO NOT USE PLAY SAND!!!!! GO WITHOUT BEFORE USING IT!!

I sure hope you heard that. Play sand is NOT made the same as pool filter sand. We had a cloudy pool go for months before it was found to have play sand in the filter.

- - - Updated - - -

I PM'd tetlee. I sure hope they get the message before they fill their filter with the wrong stuff!!

You want the correct grade of sand for the filter. #20 silica sand is the standard for sand filters. Play sand is usually not labeled by grade and it is best to just avoid it. Quickcrete bags labeled as pool sand have performed inconsistently by reports on our forum. Why that is the case we don't know, but for that reason I would look for a different brand of pool filter sand if there is one available.

Since the OP is in Tempe AZ, maybe a short drive to Corson's A&M or NPS would result in a better grade of sand for the pool filter. Both should have it in stock or can get enough within a day - Call them first for price and stock on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.