New Jersey USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We are going into our third Summer with our fiberglass (SWG) pool and are thinking about tiling the waterline this year before we open. I just spoke to the person who will be opening the pool and he thought that we would be crazy to tile a fiberglass pool in New Jersey considering how cold it gets here. He felt that the tile would not be able to withstand our weather. Has anyone out there had problems in the Northeast with their fiberglass pools and tile? I don't want to spend the $$$ if they're not going to stay on through the winter or start popping off soon after installation. Any thoughts or recommendations out there?

Tiling a fibreglas pool has to be done with epoxy thinset and grout......not a job for any but the very best DIY'ers. It's messy and unforgiving but you may choose to take a stab at it and have good luck.

The fibreglas flexes too much for a normal masonry installation.

Mine was done with a marine silicone caulk. The builer left a few extra tubes but I cant seem to find them to tell you exactly what it is (it's been a few years and I might have tossed them out.)

We live in Toronto which is colder than New Jersey. Our fiberglass pool has waterline tile, the PB used a special epoxy supplied by the pool manufacturer San Juan Pool. In the winter, we lower the water a few inches below the tile, no problem so far.

I have used Bob's products for about 10 years tiling a little more than 400 pools in the Carolinas with great results. We get the cold temps here but for not as long.

Murray Willitts @ Pools Plus Myrtle Beach

Thank you to all who responded to my post! We decided to wait until the end of summer to tile the pool. We'll be doing it ourselves using Flextile's kit. Wish us luck! Bob, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in August! Thanks again!

Hi. I found this old post.
Jpower: Curious to know how the flextile install went (and is holding up)?
Ke: Same question re how is the tile holding up years later? Did you get the adhesive direct from San Juan or did your PB get it for you?
Thanks!

Information on tiling fiberglass pools can be found by typing "fiberglass pool tiling" into any search engine. There's a fiberglass pool manufacturer in NJ called "Waterworld". They tile several hundred pools a year before the pools are sent to the pool installer. They can tell you how the tile holds up in NJ.

Thanks for the reply. We have done lots of research on this topic and have talked to installers and manufacturers. That said, I was hoping to get pool owner feedback as this can often times be a different experience from what manufacturers and installers will tell you. Not looking to be cynical, but we have been BADLY burned by people in the pool industry, so I put much more weight on pool owner's personal experiences now. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I developed the materials and the process for tiling fiberglass pools 35 years ago. It't the only business I've been in. This means it would logical to think that I'm also biased. I am.

I'll try to find some phone numbers of home owners up north that tiled their fiberglass pool 2, 3 or 4 years ago. By the way, I always recommend that home owners tile their own pool. They always do a much better job than the "experts".

The San Juan Rio is a large pool with lots of curves, but it's easy to tile.

hi. no worries, and i hope my reply didn't come off accusatory. if you had any idea the nightmare we have gone through, you would understand my hesitation and desire to get feedback from pool owners. that said, i greatly appreciate your feedback and insight. i agree on the DIY route, and that may be how we go, as i am meticulous. i am concerned, however, with how it will look given the unlevelness of our pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.