Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I tile our fiberglass pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I tile our fiberglass pool?

We are going into our third Summer with our fiberglass (SWG) pool and are thinking about tiling the waterline this year before we open. I just spoke to the person who will be opening the pool and he thought that we would be crazy to tile a fiberglass pool in New Jersey considering how cold it gets here. He felt that the tile would not be able to withstand our weather. Has anyone out there had problems in the Northeast with their fiberglass pools and tile? I don't want to spend the $$$ if they're not going to stay on through the winter or start popping off soon after installation. Any thoughts or recommendations out there?
    Scott From Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Should I tile our fiberglass pool?

Tiling a fibreglas pool has to be done with epoxy thinset and grout......not a job for any but the very best DIY'ers. It's messy and unforgiving but you may choose to take a stab at it and have good luck.

The fibreglas flexes too much for a normal masonry installation.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine was done with a marine silicone caulk. The builer left a few extra tubes but I cant seem to find them to tell you exactly what it is (it's been a few years and I might have tossed them out.)

4. Back To Top    #4

We live in Toronto which is colder than New Jersey. Our fiberglass pool has waterline tile, the PB used a special epoxy supplied by the pool manufacturer San Juan Pool. In the winter, we lower the water a few inches below the tile, no problem so far.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I developed the procedures and materials for tiling fiberglass 30 years ago. My companies in Calif. and Florida have tiled more than 20,000 fiberglass pools. It's an easy do it yourself project. You can download free instructions "How to tile" @ www.fiberglassswimmingpooltiling.com .

Bob
    Mikie

12K Pebbletec with attached spillover Spa, Waterway 320 sqft cartridge filter, 2HP Waterway filter pump, 1.5HP Waterway waterfall pump, 2 skimmers, in-line tablet chlorinator (no longer in use), Levolor LX2 water level system, Polaris 280 w 1.5 HP booster pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I have used Bob's products for about 10 years tiling a little more than 400 pools in the Carolinas with great results. We get the cold temps here but for not as long.

Murray Willitts @ Pools Plus Myrtle Beach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you to all who responded to my post! We decided to wait until the end of summer to tile the pool. We'll be doing it ourselves using Flextile's kit. Wish us luck! Bob, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in August! Thanks again!
    Scott From Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi. I found this old post.
    Jpower: Curious to know how the flextile install went (and is holding up)?
    Ke: Same question re how is the tile holding up years later? Did you get the adhesive direct from San Juan or did your PB get it for you?
    Thanks!
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, and, of course, Margaritaville blender!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Information on tiling fiberglass pools can be found by typing "fiberglass pool tiling" into any search engine. There's a fiberglass pool manufacturer in NJ called "Waterworld". They tile several hundred pools a year before the pools are sent to the pool installer. They can tell you how the tile holds up in NJ.
    Mikie

12K Pebbletec with attached spillover Spa, Waterway 320 sqft cartridge filter, 2HP Waterway filter pump, 1.5HP Waterway waterfall pump, 2 skimmers, in-line tablet chlorinator (no longer in use), Levolor LX2 water level system, Polaris 280 w 1.5 HP booster pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the reply. We have done lots of research on this topic and have talked to installers and manufacturers. That said, I was hoping to get pool owner feedback as this can often times be a different experience from what manufacturers and installers will tell you. Not looking to be cynical, but we have been BADLY burned by people in the pool industry, so I put much more weight on pool owner's personal experiences now. Thanks.
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, and, of course, Margaritaville blender!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I developed the materials and the process for tiling fiberglass pools 35 years ago. It't the only business I've been in. This means it would logical to think that I'm also biased. I am.

I'll try to find some phone numbers of home owners up north that tiled their fiberglass pool 2, 3 or 4 years ago. By the way, I always recommend that home owners tile their own pool. They always do a much better job than the "experts".

The San Juan Rio is a large pool with lots of curves, but it's easy to tile.
    Mikie

12. Back To Top    #12

hi. no worries, and i hope my reply didn't come off accusatory. if you had any idea the nightmare we have gone through, you would understand my hesitation and desire to get feedback from pool owners. that said, i greatly appreciate your feedback and insight. i agree on the DIY route, and that may be how we go, as i am meticulous. i am concerned, however, with how it will look given the unlevelness of our pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

My e-mail is bob@flextile.com. Send me an e-mail, and I'll send you a photo of a home owner following my instructions on how to deal with an out of level pool that has a cantilever deck.
    Mikie