Flow Stops with 2 psi rise

Sep 28, 2015
Savannah GA
I have a Hayward sand filter with 350lbs of sand. I bought the cheap stuff from Home Depot (Quick Crete). My pool is constantly cloudy even though chemicals levels test out. After the pump has been running for just a few days, the pressure will rise from 18 psi to 20 psi and basically shut down water flow to a trickle. When I back flush there is rarely any debris in the sight glass, then the pool will drop back to 18 psi and run normally fora few days and the cycle repeats. Is this a sign of bad sand? The bag said it was pool sand, but I am thinking that is my issue. Thanks for your help.

Cloudy water is almost always a chemistry issue.

What exactly do you mean by "the chemical levels always test out?". That's not helpful for troubleshooting.

Could you provide your most recent results for FC, CC, CYA, pH, CH & TA?

How are you testing, and how often do you test?

There was a thread about some issues with Quickcrete sand not being the correct grade, but I believe the issue was with sand passing into the pool.

Dom

- - - Updated - - -

Found the thread. While it's not related to cloudy water, it's good info none the less.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/103421-My-findings-on-how-not-all-sand-is-created-equal

Last edited:
Dom is correct. Your first step should be to make sure your chemistry is right and you have no organics in your pool which is, by far, the most common occurrence. Post up your test numbers and let's make sure your pool is algae free (you can't always see it as algae).

When you backwash, can you see the backwash water other than in the sight glass?

I am interested to see if anyone can provide a picture of the sand in question. In a previous thread by a different member, it was pretty obvious that the sand had not been properly screened. Seemingly an isolated incident but I am still curious.

I have seen this many times with the sand purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. It is not the correct sand. Many of the stores will tell customers the sand is #20 silica when it is not. Cloudy water is one of the outcomes I see all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.