Leak in pump/filter piping maybe?

Sep 11, 2015
Scottsdale/Arizona
Hi pool folks...
This pool is just a big headache. It has been established that we need to drain the pool. "Thank you!" to the folks that helped me translate the TF-100 readings into something I could understand. Now I've discovered a leak, I think. The photos below show our entire filter pad with a wet spot at the base of one pipe, a closeup of that pipe while wet, and a closeup of the same pipe after I cleaned the dirt off and dried it.

I don't understand all of the crud built up on the blue pipe. It looks like lime? Calcium buildup? It is a plastic pipe piece. (The knob is metal tho.) Can I still clean it off with Lime-Away or something like that? If it is a leak, I plan to seal the pipe where it connects to the other pipes (upper and lower ends) with silicone caulking but I think I need to get that gunk off first. I sealed another leak on another pipe this way and it has worked fabulously so far.

We have a home warranty that covers the pool filter equipment. I'm considering submitting a repair order in the hopes that when they come out to assess the problem they'll replace this pipe and the other joint that I already sealed. Is a little leak like this worth dealing with the home warranty thing? Yes, I have to pay for the service call no matter what, but it is less than $100 so it isn't a factor.
2015 possible leak 28SEP15.jpg

Good morning Kelly. Ideally, when there is a leaking pipe, the best remedy is to replace that section. Generally it's not too terribly difficult or expensive for someone who is comfortable with DIY stuff, but the configuration of the existing piping can be an issue (available room and space). By any chance can you post the pics separately or in another way? The 3-way image you posted is a bit small to really get a good look. Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Hi Kelly. It appears that the leak is in the male pipe threading above the gate valve. That type of blue residue is from the leak, I've seen that before. It could also be from the stem from that valve. If it is the pvc male fitting, silicone won't fix it. It has to be cut out and replumbed.

Yes, the pics came-out much better. That valve is plastic huh? Wow. It sure is deceiving. Well, it looks like your valve it mated via threaded adapters screwed onto each end of it, but those are then glued onto the PVC pipe. I don't think you can just remove and reseal or replace that valve. Ideally you would need to cut the plumbing at each end and replace it. So going back to your original questions in post #1, I supposed you could try and use any number of cleaners and/or brushes to clean the exterior (calcium scale) off the pipes if you really wanted. While you mentioned you were successful with a previous "external" repair, normally they don't fair very well - at least not on the pressure side where water is pushing outward. If it's not a large leak and more of just a nuisance drip, you could just monitor it for a while. Small drips here & there are not uncommon. Your insurance co-pay of about $100 is probably more than what it would cost in materials as a DIY project, but then not everyone is comfortable cutting into pool plumbing. Maybe some others will have a different approach than what I am seeing. Best of luck to you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.