I'm so upset....

SBK

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2008
In continuing with the link below...
www.troublefreepool.com/opening-with-wa ... 10980.html

I had the PB come over on the 11th of April to show me how to open up the the pool, remove and replace all of the winterizing items, prep and prime the pump/filter etc. I have filmed this "event" with my HD camcorder and took notes in the process. This was done so I can go solo next year... :-D
Anyway, after the PB removed all the items, he looked at my green "pond" and poured a bottle of something that looked like honey or a very thin motor oil in the pool. He walked all along the edge and poured it in. He then proceeded to fire up the pump and filter. He stated to brush the walls and the algae would be gone in "no time". He said nothing of how long to let the pump run, the SWG on etc. I borrowed the neighbors Kreepy Krauly (KK) and let it go to work with the SWG at it's normal position. I have let the pump/filter run since we started up yesterday morning. At about 5pm this evening, the walls were pretty clear and the pool was about 95% algae free. I returned about 2 hours later and I noticed that the algae seemed to be getting worse; nah it couldn't be. I went back about 2 hours later and it is coming back and starting to spread. Since then, I have turned the SWG up to 100% (Super Chlorinate) and will let it run thru the night. I had to shut down the KK as I am out of DE until I can get some more tomorrow.
Here is why I am so upset. The PB said nothing about runniing the SWG at a higher level or to even leave the pump run 24/7 (I got that info from here). He just took a sample of water and then left. Said they would call me back later and tell me on what chemicals I need to add.
No one has ever called... :(
I feel like they just come over, took 45 mins to replace and remove the return line fittings, prime the pump full of water, install the ladder and rails and flip a switch (I already had the tarp removed) and then they boogied.
So now, it appears that the algea is growing back and all the work I've done is for naught even though it's suppose to get down to 40 tonight here in S'West Ohio. From what I've read on here tonight (I should HAVE read this BEFORE the PB came over) the only way to get rid of the algea is to clean and keep shocking the heck out of the pool.
I wish now I would have kept the SWG on super chlorinate. I've also backwashed the DE filter about 6-7 times since yesterday morning; hence the reason I am out of DE. The pool cleaner sure fills the filter up faster than just using the skimmers and main.
Any suggestions ? Can I just keep running the SWG at 100% until I can get some more DE tomorrow afternoon and then start all over ?
BTW, I bought the test kit with the Salt Water strips but to be honest, I'm terrified on how to use the kit. Seems to be quite overwhelming for me so the kit just sites in it's case unused until I can get the courage up to use it. Laugh if you will but I don't know where to start with the kit. My pool is only about 7 mos old and was finished up around Labor Day weekend of 2008.
Thx in advance.

Wow... not such a great job on their part. Maybe the guy was camera shy. :lol:

Generally, using an SWG to shock isn't reccomended because it's (most times) not very effective and shortens the cell life. Most people turn it off and start luggin' the bleach. Just to be sure, you do have D.E. in the filter now right? You should never run a DE filter without the DE.

Good luck getting it cleared,
Adam

Don't be afraid of the test kit. You HAVE to master it, and it's not nearly as hard as it looks. It's a collection of many very simple tests, so pick one test, like pH and start with it.

first off id like to say im sorry for another pool company leaving you hanging. Just not cool!!
Was what he added to your pool algaecide? Depending on how bad the algae bloom is i always like to add a good quality algaecide to the pool water. Make sure it kills algae not prevent it.

Dont worry about the test kit... read the directions a 100 times if you have to, and just take it slow.. you will learn as you go, i PROMISE!! Once you get it all down, you will look back and think, man its really not that bad...

Have you tried to call the PB? I know you said they woudl call you but i think you should call and have them come back out... Ask them to explain everything to you.. AND BRING SOME FREE DE FOR YOUR TROUBLES!

if you do not have DE in the filter now, SHUT IT OFF!! put the filter in the recirculate position ( if you have one) and then turn it back on. This will bypass the pool filter but still allow you to get chlorine into the pool water.

Everything is going to be fine. You just need to take things slowly and learn one new thing at a time.

The first step, as others have already mentioned, is to turn off the pump until you can get some DE. You will also want to get a couple of gallons of plain unscented household bleach. Look for bottles that are 6% concentration, sometimes the house brands are not labeled and are much weaker than that.

Hi there...
You're feeling frustrated, which I totally understand.... :wink:

Get some DE....and do as advised....

While some algaecide will kill algae, its an expensive and inefficient way to do it. Consider it this way - chlorine kills algae, Algaecide prevents it. The ONLY algaecide that is recommended on here is Polyquat 60, and even then in only rare instances. Shock according to your CYA level, so you must test the water to find out what that is. Then you can start adding the liquid chlorine....

Launboy is right, don't superchlorinate with the SWG. Shock with liquid chlorine, aka BLEACH.

Once you have the filter / DE straight, run it 24/7 and shock your pool according to the CYA chart. You will keep shocking with liquid chlorine until the water is clear and your testing tells you the FC is holding. But you have to test daily to know this.

The best way that we can help you is for you to open up that kit and start testing. Go slow, practice with the little blue case that has the yellow OTO test and the red PH test. Those are easy, and you'll be comfortable doing them. Then we can walk you thru the others, there is nothing to be nervous about trust me!

IF you do call them back out, make it clear to them that they are NOT to put anything into your pool without clearing it with you first.

Keep reading everything in Pool School, it will all start to click and make sense, and before you know it your frustration with the PB will be gone and they will be a distant memory.

We're here to help! :goodjob:

Hi SBK, you are in good hands with experts on this board (I am not one of them) just follow their instruction and you will be fine.

I did want to share with you my experience with using my kreepy krauly to vacuum algae to my DE filter. I don't have a valve at all, so I clean manually, and in the past (before I found this board) I did the same when I had algae, add a chemical and let the vac scoop everything up. The "problem" occurs when you backwash the filter then recharge it and continue to vac, the algae doesn't give the DE a chance to coat the grids. My pressure goes up, I open the filter and find the majority of my DE mixed with algae sitting on the bottom of the filter instead of the grids. This may have happened to you, which is why you went through so much DE. You may want to run without the vac for a few hours after charging the filter to give it a chance to coat. Now I have very old equipment, so this may not be a problem with current "technology", just my experience with my equipment. Hope it helps.

Guys/Gals,
thank-you for the encouragement ! At lunch, I picked up 2, 25# of DE element today at a pool store that I happened upon. That guy was very helpful and no pressure tactics of any kind. He only charged $15.99 per bag. I thought that was very reasonable from what I seen around the net and at local shops.
Anyway, he educated me a little about the 6 way valve. Come to find out, lastnight, I could have just keep recircing the water, letting the SWG do it's job and keep the filter out of the loop. Was this wrong to do just to keep letting the SWG do it's job and not filter ?
When I went home at lunch, I grabbed a spare bottle for testing. I looked at the pool and it HAS not gotten any worse than my last post, which made me feel good. In summary of HIS test results he told me that my PH was @ 8.2 and my chlorine was at .26.
I called the original PB after I got back to work. She didn't seem overly concerned stating that my chlorine was low but I needed to crank up the % on the Aqua Rite to about 42-45%. It was set to about 30% by the PB when the PB opened the pool.
As far as the PH is concernd, I am going to read the pool school article on the PH but do I need to take into account that I have a SWG or is high PH treated the same regardless of the equipment. She suggested getting about 2 lbs of "PH DOWN" ?
About the test kit: great suggestions by all. I will start taking the baby steps and then work my way up. I am the kind of person that can learn real quick by watching but when it comes to reading manuals/instructions.............well..............um.............arghh.
Anyway, thx again to everyone. I will post pixx later on tonight and keep this thread updated.
Take care All !

Sorry, we really should have thought to check for recirculate mode!

Getting your PH down to more reasonable levels soon is important.

There are two chemicals commonly used to lower PH, dry acid and muriatic acid. Dry acid is the one most commonly sold by pool stores. Dry acid is sold under a variety of names, including PH Down, PH Reducer, Lo 'n' Slow, etc. Muriatic acid is noticeably less expensive and better for use with a SWG, but it is more difficult to handle. Muriatic acid fumes are quite annoying, spills can damage clothing, and there is a small risk of getting it in your eyes (always wear eye protection). You can find muriatic acid at most hardware stores and some paint stores, I get mine at Home Depot.

Dry acid isn't really a problem in normal quantities, but if you use large amounts over years sulfates can build up in the water. At high enough levels sulfates can damage the SWG cell plates.

Did you happen to get a full set of water test results at the pool store? Or are you ready to try out your new test kit? We can give you better advice if you post a full set of water test results.

SBK said:
Guys/Gals,
thank-you for the encouragement ! At lunch, I picked up 2, 25# of DE element today at a pool store that I happened upon. That guy was very helpful and no pressure tactics of any kind. He only charged $15.99 per bag. I thought that was very reasonable from what I seen around the net and at local shops.
Anyway, he educated me a little about the 6 way valve. Come to find out, lastnight, I could have just keep recircing the water, letting the SWG do it's job and keep the filter out of the loop. Was this wrong to do just to keep letting the SWG do it's job and not filter ?
When I went home at lunch, I grabbed a spare bottle for testing. I looked at the pool and it HAS not gotten any worse than my last post, which made me feel good. In summary of HIS test results he told me that my PH was @ 8.2 and my chlorine was at .26.
I called the original PB after I got back to work. She didn't seem overly concerned stating that my chlorine was low but I needed to crank up the % on the Aqua Rite to about 42-45%. It was set to about 30% by the PB when the PB opened the pool.
As far as the PH is concernd, I am going to read the pool school article on the PH but do I need to take into account that I have a SWG or is high PH treated the same regardless of the equipment. She suggested getting about 2 lbs of "PH DOWN" ?
About the test kit: great suggestions by all. I will start taking the baby steps and then work my way up. I am the kind of person that can learn real quick by watching but when it comes to reading manuals/instructions.............well..............um.............arghh.
Anyway, thx again to everyone. I will post pixx later on tonight and keep this thread updated.
Take care All !

High PH can cause scale to develop on the SWG cell, causing it to malfunction. High PH is not good for any pool situation....Also, I wanted to emphasize that allowing the SWG to "do it's job" or "crank it up" per their advice, will cause you to fight a losing battle. At best you will kill algae as you go, but you won't get ahead of it, you know what I mean? The algae will consume the chlorine as the SWG adds it. You'll still be left with a green and/or cloudy pool. The best way to kill an algae bloom is to use liquid chlorine, maintaining shock levels of FC until the water is clear, the FC holds overnight (with SWG off) and you have a CC of .5 or less. Once these three criteria have been met, you can allow the FC to drop to normal levels and turn the SWG on. Superchlorinating the pool as they advise will only shorten the life of the cell, which will end up costing you more money to replace.

The test kit is easy. Trust me, if I was able to learn it, anyone can. :) In a year you'll be asking yourself "what was I afraid of?".... :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.