Could you recommend a solar panel dealer for DIY?

Apr 6, 2009
I'd like to go with either 4x10 or 4x12 panels with 2 inch headers and I'm having trouble getting calls returned (and emails) from several vendors. There is one that has an online order form (for the hi-deluxe 4x12 panels) but they too didn't return my calls or emails for a week, and I didn't feel comfortable clicking the purchase button for $2800 worth of panels if I can't get anyone to answer questions. The techno-solis people/vendors also wouldn't call me back or return emails. The FAFCO people told me they would sell me panels directly through one of their vendors, but the guy they hooked me up with gave me a huge sales pitch for a full install and told me he wouldn't sell me the panels directly for DIY.

Any suggestions on vendors that will ship panels for DIY jobs?

Thanks!

Talk to the folks at http://www.poolheatpumps.com/ as they are a supporter here. I spoke with them, but they didn't have a panel that would work on my small roof.

I bought the Aquasol panels from http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/solar-heating.htm They shipped quickly and provided everything I needed. Price was very reasonable. I've only had the panels a year, so I can't vouch for longevity, but I'm very happy with the performance.

I went with the Aquasols as well. Price was just too good ($70 less than the techno-solis). Both places actually called me back and answered my questions and that was nice for a change, thanks again for the tip!

I just ordered/received my panels from there (bestbuypoolsupply) as well. Not to stray off topic too much, but does anyone see a problem going with all 1.5" flex PVC for the plumbing?

I'll be installing on a 2'nd story (south side) roof with overall runs, both inlet and return, about 150 feet with a 3/4 HP pump. Just wondering if there are advantages or disadvantages to either.

Thanks!

muvipix said:
I just ordered/received my panels from there (bestbuypoolsupply) as well. Not to stray off topic too much, but does anyone see a problem going with all 1.5" flex PVC for the plumbing?

I don't think you'll get as neat of an install with the flex, and it will surely be a lot more expensive. I ran the conventional PVC for the vertical runs and everywhere I could, but where I needed to follow an existing contour I switched to the flex. No trouble coupling it in.

JohnT said:
I don't think you'll get as neat of an install with the flex, and it will surely be a lot more expensive. I ran the conventional PVC for the vertical runs and everywhere I could, but where I needed to follow an existing contour I switched to the flex. No trouble coupling it in.
OK, aesthetics is important in some areas, thank you.

Follow-up(s) - I keep reading that 2" is better for flow rate, especially since the runs are so long and it's a second story. Should I go with 2" PVC wherever I can? And, besides where the piping will be seen, can I use the flexible elbows/couplings and hose clamps without a problem (ie, on the roof)? In other words, is there an advantage to "hard plumbing" them in?

Sorry, am brand new to this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.