First Test results with new Taylor Kit

Hi all, After lots of advice to get a Taylor kit finally got one whilst my wife was visiting the US for work. So we are coming into spring here so pool will soon be back in use shortly. Over winter I do very little other than the odd vacuum for leaves so other than the Filter and SWG running it gets little attention from me.

Visually the Pool water is crystal clear so a reasonable base to start from.

Anyway Results of first test with the new kit are below.

PH 7.8
FC 3
CC 0
TC 3
CH 275
TA 100
CYA ~10

I have added Stabiliser todayand will test again in a week or so I thought the TF100 Kit allowed for a Salt test but appears not, so I will just use the Pool shop for that for now. With winter rains and backwashing (and going on past years experience) I will need to add 1 - 2 bags of salt.

But other than that any feedback on numbers above?

Thanks

Hello Docker, and congrats on taking your new test kit on its maiden voyage.

A couple of things by the results you posted that I would recommend is since you have added stabilizer already go ahead, and use the POOLMATH calculator http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to raise your FC target up to coincide with that anticipated CYA level per the Chlorine/CYA chart as your FC level is on the low end, and could very easily drop below the minimum for your CYA level, which can allow algae to grow, and we certainly don't want that in your crystal clear pool.

I suggest you increase the FC to at least the Target level or slightly higher (1-2ppm) higher than the Target level, based on the amount of CYA that you just added to try to prevent it from ever dropping below the minimum.

The recommended Chlorine in relation to CYA levels for pools with SWG's are at the bottom of this chart:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

I'm not sure what Target level you used on the stabilizer you added, but for a SWG it is recommended you try to keep the CYA/Stabilizer level at 70-80ppm, so the SWG doesn't have to work as hard, and this helps prolong the life of the cell. (So just retest the stabilizer once it starts registering which will take about a week, and you can adjust it again from there if needed).

The pH is a little high, and I would suggest using Muriatic acid to bring it down some to the mid 7s range say around 7.4ppm because as soon as you begin aeration, filtration, etc. the pH will likely rise.

Other than those couple little adjustments things look really good. If you have an more questions feel free to ask, and someone will gladly assist you. I hope this helps, and have a wonderful night.:)

Thanks for the Tips CrackerJack,

I have upped my SWG slightly and now the stabiliser is in will give it a few days and test again and if need be add some Granulated chlorine to give it a boost.

The PoolMath Calculator looks really handy. I did note it says as I add stabiliser it is likely to Drop my PH so I will keep an eye on that too in the next test before I add any acid.

Cheers

+1 to what Cracker has said. My only addition would be to caution you with the use of granular chlorine. They add extra stuff that needs to be taken into account when you use them. Depending on what type you use, you are either adding calcium or CYA. Neither of these things are bad, just please keep it in mind because, if the level of either gets too high you will have to drain and replace some of the water to correct it. That's why we only recommend liquid forms of chlorine. Around here it's usually store bought bleach. Here in the states, we can get 8.25% from the big box stores and even the neighborhood grocery. Not sure what you have available to you, but I would recommend looking around for some liquid of some type. You can always post about what you are finding and someone will be along to comment and suggest.

Thanks pabeader, Never as easy as we think for us newbies! :) I do have another Qstn someoene may be able to help with

Re Salt levels -

As the TF-100 doesn't test for salt I took a sample to my local Pool shop today. Their other test results were within 10% of what I had from my own tests above with the TF-100 so gives me a bit of peace of mind I tested and recorded everything correctly.

They came up with was a Salt level of 4260 with a recommended range of 5500 - 6000 which is what I have been at for the last 2 years. Now I just read on another thread in here that 6000 ppm may be too high. I've dug out the brochure on my Astral SWG and it says around 4000 ppm is recommended and a minimum of 3000 ppm

Anyway naively I have added salt to my pool based on the Pool shop advice. As I say its been at that hihgher level for 2 years since I had the pool. (Based on Pool shop advice)

Do I need to drain and get my salt level down or can I just let nature take its course and aim for a lower salt level over the next X months?

For me, I let the SWG tell me if it's happy. I test once a month or so just to make sure, but in the end, if the SWG is happy, you are probably just fine. Also, we put very little faith in pool $tore testing around here. Your test kit is better then anything they have, even the computer ones, simply because of the fact that it's yours. Who is going to make sure they do each step correctly and double check them better then you?

What I mean by happy, is some SWG have indicator lights or digital displays on them that tell you if the salt is too high or low. Check your indicators.

Over time, the cell will get some buildup on it and need to be cleaned. As this happens it will start to throw the readings off, so that's why I check it periodically. If I see a large difference, then I take a look at the cell. So far I've only had to do a cleaning right after I right took over my pool care. Since then, it's been working great.

+1 on Pabeader's comments above.

I too agree that avoiding powdered shocks, pucks etc and only using liquid bleach (Sodium hypochlorite Only) will be your best means. There is an area toward the bottom of POOLMATH that says: Effects of adding chemicals. If you are considering using something else in your pool just plug it right in in that area of PM and it will tell you exactly what it will raise or lower in your pool and by how much, so you can compensate accordingly if need be.

I personally do not have a SWG so Pabeader. and others who do will be your better source of info regarding them, But I do agree the pool store testing is not usually your best means of confirming (well, lol any level), and if your SWG doesn't have the indicator, (which I think most if not all do), or if you want to do your own testing to confirm there are Salt tests that can be purchased.

Here is a link for one such test, but I'm not sure how the shipping works with you being in Australia so you'll have to confirm that aspect, but if you can't get this one, it will give you some idea of what you are looking for. http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html

I hope this helps, and have a wonderful day. :)

Just ran the tests again to see how I am tracking. since adding Stabiliser FC has shot right up (which makes sense to me)

Results below

PH 7.5
FC 8.5
CC 0
CH 300
TA 100
CYA 40

I have wound my SWG back a notch and using PoolMatth Calculator as a guide added some more Stabiliser with the aim to get up towards 70

Hopefully on the right track....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello, yeah it appears your stabilizer is finally registering, and is allowing your chlorine to hold better which will make your SWG not have to work as hard too, so it's a win win :). Yes, you are on the exact right track. A target of 70ppm for your CYA is the recommended level per the Chlorine/CYA chart (link provide above in comment#2). Recommended range of CYA is 70-80ppm with a SWG.

You also want to ensure you don't get it higher than the recommended range, as it makes it difficult to try to maintain your pool at the higher levels, and once it's in there the only way to get it out is to drain out water, and refill with new water, :(. Just be sure to use Pool Math, and measure carefully as to not go over, and you will be good to go. My rule of thumb is that it's much easier to add more stabilizer if needed then it is to get it back out should too much be added.

Also you didn't mention how you were adding your stabilizer as you had added it prior to getting here, so I want to check on your method too. We recommend the sock method be used here at TFP, just place the granular stabilizer in a sock, and hang it in front of the return with the pump running, make sure it's not touching the sides of your pool. You can give it a good squeeze every once in a while, and that will help it disperse into the water quicker. (It still can take up to a week for it to start registering though, so be aware of that).

There is a picture of what the sock method looks like in comment #6 of this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/47551-Adding-Stabilizer LOL Pink socks are optional. Most of us use white socks around here. :)

I hope this helps. Keep up the Great Job, and Have a wonderful night :).

Hi Guys, A couple of weeks on and my FC level has really spiked. I've dialled back my SWG again however appreciate any feedback if I should be considering anything else to help bring it down? I have added a little more Stabiliser to aim for around 70.

The other thing I noticed (and the pool is not in use at the moment) Was there was a little Algae in a couple of corners of the pool. I gave it a brush, but being my FC is so high it did surprise me to see any at all

Thoughts??

FC 17.0
PH 7.8
TA 100
CH 275
CYA 60

Keep working your SWG down until it ends up where you want it. It will drop over time. Your algae in the corners is because you aren't brushing there enough. Even though the pool has a bit of chlorine, if you don't have circulation the algae will protect itself from it. That's what brushing does for you.
Also, I would suggest lowering your pH a little, maybe around 7.4. The SWG will tend to cause it to rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.